She caught herself, but it was too late, I was already seething...for one those skanks literally flirted with my man, (of course they didn't know...but something tells me, they'd of still flirted with him regardless), and for two...she was insinuating my brother may have been gay.

As if I would care, I'd love Max no matter what...but I knew him, and he wasn't.

"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to insinuate Maxwell was gay." She quickly tried to amend. "I mean we knew he wasn't...what with all the girls he talked to.

Now she was saying he was basically a man-whore.

I shook my head, "Just because a guy didn't hit on you doesn't make him gay...maybe he was simply being respectful, maybe he had a girlfriend, or maybe he was just waiting for his mate."

She nodded. "Anyways, Krista is his real estate agent and got him a really good deal on the old Briggs place."

"That's kind of far out there." I commented as I remembered the home well. A nice big house that was built right on the edge of the pack lands. "But a good home to fill with a family."

"Krista said she met him alone."

I shrugged. "I know he found his mate in college...she was probably just with his parents."

She nodded, "I should get back to work...but it's really good seeing you again, we'll have to go out or something while you're here."

"As fun as that sounds, I'm really at my brother's disposal this weekend."

She understood and finally left.

'I've never liked her.' My wolf said.

I sighed, "yeah, well you only had to deal with her for a year and a half...meanwhile I've known her my whole life...I can't believe she thought Maddox was gay." I said under my breath as I all too easily recalled the way we use to be all over each other.

I sighed heavily, "Seems like another lifetime ago."

...

As I drove down the all too familiar road I felt more vulnerable than ever.

"Depending on how tonight goes...They could banish me from the pack."

'These are our brothers, they wouldn't.'

"They may be Trace and Ryder but they're also Alpha and Beta now...and first and foremost the pack comes first, not family...Dad taught us that."

Our Dad was never the most obvious with his caring for us, I mean sure he was always there for us when we needed him, he was a solid figure in our lives...but he pulled back on forms of affection and compliments after Mom passed.

But when Max was taken from us...he became cold, controlling...In his own way I'm sure he loved us and cared about our overall wellbeing. But he was never the same, and that's who Trace had to watch and model his own Alpha role after.

Occassionally our Father's warmth would seep through the cracks, like the night of my shift and at my wedding...but those moments were few and far between.

I hope he doesn't copy that coldness.

'Trace is a better man.'

"I'd like to think so." I sighed, "But the fact is I haven't really known my brother since I was a teenager.

'Remember him as he was then, and amplify it to fit the man he is now.'

I nodded, even though Trace had always been a stoic sort of kid, at the end of the day he was kind, and warm, and always beyond helpful toward those around him. He was also so affectionate and protective with Morgan when she was little.