Ch. 1

-Frank's Fate-
Ch. 1: Going Back

I sat on the beach playing with the now weathered envelope for my sisters baby shower thing.

I had received it a while back and glanced at it, of course I was expecting she'd have some sort of a celebration...but the reason I had held onto it for so long, the main reason I had found it nearly impossible to just ignore and set aside altogether...It was that last person's name that held my attention more than it should; Elise Cage.

You are cordially invited to the Gender reveal party of
Mariah Van Buren & Patrick Westbrook
Hosted by: Harper Carson and Elise Cage

I had spent more than a few nights reminiscing about our one night stand, she was one hell of a girl...to be honest she wasn't my first and hadn't been my last either, but there was something about her. Maybe it was her beauty, or perhaps it was her no bullshit attitude. I mean there's a lot of girls who claim they want no strings attached, and then turn around and get attached...but not her, not Elise.

She came into my life like a bullet; fast, dangerous, and heartbreaking.

But I knew what we had that night was never mine to keep. It was forbidden, and thoughtless...yet I also found it haunting.

You see I knew she'd leave, and she'd always be my little sisters best friend, but I hadn't expected that every time I'd hear her name it would bring up vivid images of that night.

I had moved back to town with my sister after our mother's passing and was grateful that I didn't see her around much after the funeral, and yet it didn't stop me from constantly searching for her name in my sister's every conversation with me.

I had become desperate to the point of obsession...So in a sense it was kind of a Godsend when my sister and Pat decided to move in together.

No I wasn't originally thrilled with the idea of Mariah having a baby...truth be told I'm still not. But it's her life, and Pat's a good guy...and despite the obvious hurdles they're sure to face as young parents...they seem to be genuinely happy.

So much so that I didn't feel as shitty about moving back to California.

I mean I'd only gone to town  because I didn't want my sister to be alone...but once there I found she was anything but alone. She had her group of friends, and with Pat...she had a family, and they were only extending it with the little one on the way.

I sighed and let my body fall back against the hot sand. I pulled my sunglasses over my eyes and looked at the invitation once again.

"Elise Cage." I sighed and shook my head. I knew there was no way I'd be able to get out of going.

I thought back to the day my sister shocked the hell out of me.

'I know my friend Elise's husband is pretty handy around their house, I know Vance wouldn't mind helping us...remember I came back early for my friends wedding, that was Elise...'

Elise had somebody.

That's why it was no strings attached for her, that's why it was so easy for her to just disappear the next day.

To be honest the news was all I had thought about since moving back to California. I couldn't help the fact that I basically became a stalker by looking her up on Facebook, she was easy to find as she is friends with Mariah. I found that the Cage's had a joint account, unfortunately it was also private.

I thought about their profile picture, it was a typical wedding shot (bride and groom staring disgustingly into each others eyes) but even from the side shot I was able to see he was a good handful of inches taller than her, he was very "hipster" looking and I hated him instantly.