Never a Burden (Trenton)

The chatting of pack members and clattering of silverware is simple background noise that barely registers in my mind as I look at Kai

The chatting of pack members and clattering of silverware is simple background noise that barely registers in my mind as I look at Kai. I know, I know, I sound really cheesy right now, but he is just so beautiful.

Kai is sitting across from me at our large dining table. We had to get this table custom made since tables that would fit our whole pack aren't sold in stores. The extra money didn't bother my father at all, the only thing that matters to him is that his family can all sit together while enjoying our meals.

"So, Kai, tell me about yourself." My father interrupts the quiet of the dining table, addressing Kai. Lifting my gaze to the human in front of me, I take notice of his body language and how introverted he really is. His green stare is focused on the table, as if it were the most interesting thing he's ever seen, as he chews on his bottom lip nervously. So precious . . .

"Um . . . what do you want to know, Mr. Wolfe?"

"Please, call me Tommy. You don't need to be so formal. I am your future father-in-law, after all."

I'm proud to admit that watching all of the blood rush to Kai's face at my father's words is quite endearing.

"Uh . . . right. Um, so, what do you want t . . . to know, Tommy?" Kai mutters.

"How are you liking school? Hopefully Trent isn't too much of a distraction for you." He winks knowingly at both of us. I roll my eyes and lean back in my seat.

"Dad!" I scoff. He can be so embarrassing sometimes.

I smile at Kai's giggle in response and take notice of him whispering to Roni, "Is this normal for them?"

Roni replies with a bright smile and vigorous nod, pulling yet another giggle past Kai's lips.

At first, I genuinely thought Kai was having a good time with us, but as lunch went on and the light bickering between my father and I continued, I noticed Kai's smile fading and his eyes glossing over.

"Kai, is everything alright?" I hear Roni ask. She noticed it, too.

"Huh? Oh . . . yes, I'm alright." I could see through his weak smile immediately.

"I don't believe you." I cut in.

"What?"

"I can see that something is bothering you, Kai. Come out with it." I gently lecture him. Okay, maybe I am being a bit pushy, but I know when something is bothering him and the only way for me to do anything about it is for him to tell me.

"I'm just . . . overwhelmed?" Kai mutters, "Is this what a real family is like?"

I'm able to tell that everyone seated at our table could hear the words that passed through Kai's mouth. I can tell this by the complete silence of the dining room that followed Kai's question. I, myself, am stunned into silence by his words, my mouth agape as I glance between Roni and my father for some form of guidance.

Roni opens her mouth, then closes it again looking like a fish out of water. Prue, who has been silent for most of the lunch, surprises us all by being the one to speak up.

"Kai, we are your family now." Prue starts, tears of her own beginning their trek down her peach colored face, "I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you when everything was going on with your foster family and your sister. I promise to be here for you from now on."

"Me, too." Roni, my father, and I all say in unison, causing Kai to chuckle through his tears.

"I don't know what to say . . ." Kai chokes through his sobs, I never would have thought this lunch would end up with us talking about such a sensitive topic. I'm more than happy to remind Kai every day of how much we all love him. Yes, I love him . . .

Taking a gulp of air, I say, "You don't have to say anything, Love. Just let us continue showing you how loved you are. You will always have a permanent spot in this family for the rest of all of our days."

"Thank you." Kai replies, a bit winded. He's most definitely overwhelmed by how cared for he really is.

"So . . . what now?" Roni breaks the little bit of silence that followed Kai's words.

"Well, if it's alright with you, Tommy, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to keep Roni, Ren, and Kai home from school for another week to give them some time to rest and enjoy each other's company?" Prue speaks up, but I have a feeling there's another reason she suggested this.

"Yeah, I think that's a great idea, Prue. Will you guys need to get anything from the school? If so, you can go tomorrow during school hours so that they'll let you in." My dad replies.

"Yeah, that'd be nice. We'll have more time to get to know each other, Kai!" Roni says excitedly. I just hope his foster parents aren't going to do anything about Kai's absence.

"You guys really don't have to do that. I might actually have to go back ho—"

"Don't even finish that sentence, Kai." Prue interrupts Kai before I can.

"I don't want to burden you guys . . ." Kai mutters.

"What did we just talk about, Kai?" I ask him.

"You're a part of the family, Kai! You can't burden family!" Roni adds.

"Are you so sure about that?" Kai mutters, looking at the ground. I don't think he was expecting us to hear that, but I'm sure all of us did. You know, super hearing and all.

"Kai . . ." I trail. I wish I could be more comforting, but sometimes I feel like nothing I say could possibly help him feel better.

"Malakai, I promise you that you will never burden any of us, okay? Now, let us care for you. Please." Prue pleads with him and I think she made a breakthrough because the next thing Kai says is enough to make all of us happy.

"Alright . . ."