Kai's House (Trenton)

After Roni and I have dropped Kai off at his home, and the laughter he caused by being so cute has passed, I can't help but notice the faint scent of alcohol and cigarette smoke coming from his home

"Do you smell that, Renny?" Roni asks me, concern and confusion clear in her tone.

"Yeah, what do you think it's from? Maybe he has siblings that drink? Parents that smoke? It could be the remaining scent from the previous owners if Kai only moved here a month ago." I wonder aloud to Roni.

"I don't think so. It smells too strong to be old, but we're not in the house so it's hard to say. We can just ask Kai about it later." Roni tells me, putting her Jeep into reverse and backing out of Kai's driveway.

Kai's house isn't what I thought it would be. It's a decent sized house, not too small. Average size I'd say. That's not what's odd about it though, the porch has plants hanging from the ceiling, they're all dead. Maybe they're just lazy? I wonder to myself as we begin the drive back to my house.

"Shit..." Roni mutters under her breath.

"Roni? What's up?" I ask her, curiosity lacing my tone.

"Kai didn't have his school bag, how is he gonna do his homework?" Roni asks me, wearing an expression of worry for Kai.

"Actually, I don't think he did. He must have left it in his locker. I'm sure he'll just get it tomorrow." I inform her as we continue driving back to the house.

~

The next day at school goes relatively quickly, but there is no sign of Kai anywhere. His scent is nowhere so he must have stayed home from school today.

The final bell signaling schools end rings, dismissing the students to go home. I pack up my things and head out to meet Roni in the parking lot. On my way to her Jeep, I sniff around the school seeing if I can catch a whiff of Kai's scent. He must be home. I think to myself when I see no sign of him.

Walking up to Roni's car, I toss my bag in the backseat through the open window and lean against the passenger side door, waiting for Roni to come out of the building.

Pulling out my phone, I start playing a puzzle game while I wait, my thoughts drifting off to the only thing I've been thinking about since Friday, Kai.

The shoving of a school bag into my chest pulls me out of my thoughts. I look up to see Roni standing there with a smirk on her face, pressing a school bag that doesn't look like hers to my chest.

"Umm... what is this?" I ask her, the confusion evident on my face.

"Smell!" Is her curt reply.

I grab the bag from her and sniff, smelling the wonderful scent of cherry blossom trees. Right then and there, I know who this bag belongs to.

"Kai's bag! How did you get it out of his locker?" I ask her out of pure curiosity. The things she is capable of. I think to myself with a fond shake of my head.