The Library (Kai)

"MALAKAI LUCAS ROSS! Get your ass down these stairs right this instant or you're not getting dinner tonight!" My foster mom yelled at me from the bottom of the steps, "I do NOT want to get any calls from your school asking me why you are late to c...

"MALAKAI LUCAS ROSS! Get your ass down these stairs right this instant or you're not getting dinner tonight!" My foster mom yelled at me from the bottom of the steps, "I do NOT want to get any calls from your school asking me why you are late to class, so you better hurry it up!"

"Almost done, Jessica! I'll be down in a minute!" I yelled to her from my bedroom.

"NO! Get down here RIGHT NOW!" She screamed at the top of her lungs.

I rolled my eyes and took one last look in the mirror above my dresser to check my unruly ginger, curly locks. Once I concluded that the mess on my head is hopeless, I reached down to grab my school bag and reluctantly walked down the stairs to face my nightmare of a foster mom.

Jessica and Rick Black have been my foster parents for all of one month and I already hate it with them. I know they're only foster parents for the money they get, I am repeatedly told how that money is the only thing I'm good for on a daily basis so of course I know that's all they need me for. Of course, I'd much rather be here than at the group home. Just thinking of that place makes me shudder. But even though they are much better than the people at the group home, they aren't exactly what I would call "good parents." But then again, what do I know?

"About time!" Jessica started once she saw me making my way down the stairs, "You have to walk to school, as you know by now, I'm sure, so there is no time for you to have breakfast. Not that you deserve it anyway." She told me with a scoff.

I just pushed past her and headed for the door before she could take her daily frustration out on me for the 100th time this month. I'm already so sick of her. At least when Rick is around it's just a few quick punches, slaps, or kicks, and then I can escape to my room. But with this woman it's a constant nagging! She never shuts up. She gets on my nerves more than anything. She's only scary when she's drunk, which she usually is around the time I get back from school. Uuuuuugh...

"Hey! You better not forget to do your homework! And I am NOT cooking for you tonight so you can figure dinner out on your own. Ugh, why did we get stuck with you? You better not for—"

I slammed the door shut and started jogging away from the house before she could finish that sentence. Stuck with me? Stuck with me? More like, I'm stuck with you! I thought to myself as I began the long and, fortunately for me, beautiful walk to school.

On my way to school, my thoughts drifted off to Trenton. He is my mate, according to all things werewolf. "Tsk..." I muttered to myself. I need to avoid him. I don't want to end up like my sister and the only werewolf I ever trusted, her mate. But something tells me avoiding him is going to be more difficult than I am hoping it to be, considering how every waking moment the only thought in my head is of how blue his eyes are. No, don't think about him like that! He is just like that monster that killed your sister and her fiancé. I told myself as I walk up to the back entrance of the school, the one most students avoid since it's further from all their classes. I don't mind walking longer distances if that means I can avoid Jake, that boy creeps me out beyond belief. He's just a teenager and I've only known him a month, but he has this look in his eyes that just rubs me the wrong way. I avoid him at all costs, along with his goons.