Jake (Kai)

Damn

Damn... I miss my sketchbook. I think to myself while staring at my ceiling. I'm currently just laying on my very uncomfortable bed in my disgustingly plain bedroom with absolutely nothing to do. I don't have a phone, I've read all the books I own, which isn't a lot, and I have no sketchbook. I'm so bored!

I can't believe I left my sketchbook in the library. That's so unlike me. I'm usually so organized and know where everything of mine is. It really isn't hard to keep track of your stuff when you don't have much to begin with. I just hope my sketchbook is still there, maybe someone took it to the Lost and Found? Or maybe someone found it and threw it away? Tore it up? Claimed it was theirs? So many negative possibilities...

Okay, I've decided I need to check the library early in the morning, before school starts, to see if my sketchbook is still there. That way I can avoid Jake, since he gets to school late every day, and avoid Trenton. Then, if it's not there, go to the office and look through the lost and found after school. Yeah, that's a good plan.

The sound of glass shattering downstairs brings me out of my thoughts. Jessica is usually drunk around the time I get home from school, but she was completely knocked out when I got home today. When she is out, she is out. Whatever that sound was, it was most likely Rick. Rick is a mechanic at the auto shop down the street. Sometimes he gets back here late, and sometimes I get really lucky, and he's gone all night. I think he's cheating on Jessica, maybe that's why Jessica gets so drunk?

I decide it's probably best to go downstairs and make sure everything's okay. If someone got hurt, the least I could do is help them. They may be terrible foster parents, but they did take me away from the group home. This place is luxury compared to the foster home I lived in for most of my life.

I jump up out of bed and make my way down the creaky steps. Once I get down to the first floor, I realize I probably should've stayed put. Rick is drunk. It's never pretty when Rick is drunk.

My initial thought of Jessica still being out is correct. She's completely out on the couch, the shattering of Rick's wine bottle that he threw at the fridge didn't even cause her to stir. Lucky...

Standing by the door is none other than the very drunk Rick himself. He stands about 6' foot tall, he's got some muscle but not much. His dirty blonde shaggy hair is in disarray and the leather jacket he always wears appears to have been thrown clumsily to the floor. His flushed face is pinched in rage and his angry gaze is pointed on me. Of course, it is.

"YOU!" He starts, pointing his crooked finger in my direction, "Why are all the windows open? You know I hate when the windows are open! I tell you every damn day to keep these windows closed, you ungrateful brat!"

Here we go... I think to myself as I watch Rick stomp his way angrily towards where I am standing at the bottom of the stairs. His drunken self always gets so mad over the pettiest of things. I mean, come on, the windows? It's not like I'm the one that opens them to begin with. Jessica just hates the smell of cigarette smoke so whenever she wants a smoke, instead of going outside on the porch, like a normal person, she just opens the windows and never closes them back.