The Nurse (Trenton)

Something doesn't feel right

I just have this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach. I can't quite place it, maybe I ate something weird? Hmm... Pfft, I'm a werewolf, never mind.

The sound of the car door closing brings me out of my thoughts. I look over to see Roni sitting in the driver's seat of her black Jeep, giving me a funny look.

"What's that look for?" I ask her, taking the cup of coffee she's handing out to me. We always stop for coffee before school, it's a part of our morning ritual.

"Are you sure you're alright? I know everything with Kai is stressing you out but try not to worry too much about that right now. There isn't anything we can do at the moment. I told you I would talk to him, so be patient, yeah?" She tells me after taking a sip of her own coffee, pity evident in her tone.

"I know, Roni. I'm okay as I can be, I guess..." I start, setting my cup of coffee down in one of the many cupholders in Roni's Jeep, "When are you planning on talking to Kai anyway?"

"Well, I was thinking of speaking to him today, but with everything that happened yesterday I thought it may be a good idea to give him a bit of a break. Maybe tomorrow? I'm not too sure but I do think that today is too soon." She explains.

"Yeah, you're right. That is probably for the best. Poor kid, I want to know what he went through, but I think it'll be a while before he tells me." I tell her with a pout on my face.

"Patience, Renny! Patience is key." She says with wink, her tone changing to one that is playful. Leave it to Roni to always lighten the mood of any serious conversation. It's one of my favorite things about her, she always makes me laugh.

We both chuckle a bit at her silliness and continue the drive to school.

~

Walking through the halls of Cherrywood High, I notice the all too familiar scent of cherry blossoms. Sharply snapping my head in the direction of the source, I catch a glimpse of Kai looking uneasy, quickly backing up the stairs with an unreadable expression on his face. Is he avoiding me? I wonder to myself as I continue to my first bell. I'm following what Roni said, I don't want to overwhelm the poor boy more than I already have.

Continuing my way to first period, I notice the feeling in my stomach is still prominent, if not worse. Sigh...

School goes by painfully slow. The classes are boring, I spend lunch with Roni in the cafeteria instead of the library, where I want to be, and being away from Kai for so long is really taking its toll on me. I just want to be near him every second of the day, every day, so I know he is safe at all times! Is that too much to ask?

Making my way to the locker room to get ready for lacrosse practice at the end of the day, practice is every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, I notice just how strong that horrid feeling in my stomach has gotten in a matter of seconds. Something isn't right.