Chapter 9

Gothalia ignored the fight. Her focus on the top of the cliff wall and around—searching for a safe exit, her mind rejected the sound crunching of bones, clash of steel and the whistle of Leviathan's arrows as they pierced the air around her targeting the monster. Eventually, Gothalia's eyes landed on the cave opening opposite her, where the others who entered the simulation laid in their own blood. She frowned, her expression a mixture of worry and fear.

Maximus's gasp caught her attention when he asked, "Are they still alive?"

"I don't know," Gothalia replied. "But we need to either get out of here or take out that thing before it kills us."

Maximus observed Anton and Leviathan battle the monster with a furrow to his brows. "We might not have a chance at killing it though."

"I thought as much," Gothalia remarked, gently. Without further consideration, she regarded the cave and urged herself and Maximus forward. Her grip tightened around his arm along her shoulders, when he lost balance and footing, from the awkward angle of the bones that gave way beneath their weight.

Anton and Leviathan drew the monster's attention, desperately buying enough time for Gothalia to guide Maximus away from the pile of bones, towards flatter earth and the mouth of the cave where the recruits lay unconscious in a pool of their own blood. The closer they moved to them, the sooner they noticed their stilled chests. Gothalia's eyes widened in horror while Maximus glanced away. "They're dead."

Maximus swallowed, his expression wan. "We'll be too if we don't keep moving."

"Right," Gothalia muttered, his words pulling her out of her thoughts. She pulled Maximus's arm tighter around her and entered the dark cave. Their eyes adjusting to the darkness, and the path they followed. After several minutes of walking, Gothalia paused and glanced down the corridor they'd walked. "Where's Anton and the prince?" Gothalia queried, scanning the darkness behind them. "Shouldn't they have followed?"

Maximus was silent for a moment. "I'm not sure."

"You don't think they've been killed, do you?" Gothalia asked. Maximus scowled at the thought, before he could utter another word, Gothalia returned to the path ahead and continued forward. It wasn't long, until Gothalia and Maximus heard a faint gasp and smelt fresh blood behind them. Curious they glanced back and further along the corridor was a slender figure.

Gothalia peeked at Maximus before setting him on the ground far from the approaching figure. Then, quietly unsheathed her sword as it moved towards them. Neither Gothalia nor Maximus said a word as they watched it advance. Considering the figure's outstretched arms and cautious steps they both knew it wasn't a deamone.

Gothalia stepped aside, vigilantly as the figure approached, scrutinising it move closer in the dark towards them. They heard the voice mutter, "Where did they go?"

Confusion and uncertainty washed over Maximus, but Gothalia didn't share his reaction. Once the figure was close enough, she pressed the blade of her sword against the person's throat.

"Who are you and why did you follow us?" Gothalia asked, darkly.

The voice gasped and raised its hands in the dark. "I mean you no harm," the woman uttered, shakily. "Please . . . I just want to go home."

Gothalia held her sword vast, her eyes narrowed on the woman in consideration, searching for deceit. Once Gothalia was satisfied, she sheathed her sword. "Then why are you here?" she asked, immediately.

The woman sighed. "I didn't exactly have a choice."

"Were you drafted?" Gothalia queried, confused.

"No, not exactly. I was more pressured than anything," the stranger confessed, in a quiet voice.