Kuroo & Bokuto & Kozume & Akaashi - Ships Need Sails

Start from the beginning

"Stop blocking me!"

Kuroo found his pout and pinched nose entertaining. "Can't, sorry! It's my job!"

Nekoma came out on top that game, and in his petulant state Bokuto didn't take notice of the crimson text on his wrist until they were about to get on the team busses.

While his team still weren't ready to leave, he took the opportunity to run for where he remembered seeing the red team's bus. His teammates were screaming after him as he fled.

He sprinted faster when he saw the familiar spiked black hair about to step on the vehicle. "Wait!"

Kuroo didn't even look over before the spiker took a hold of his wrist and pulled up the sleeve. "Ah—uh?"

Bokuto hadn't said anything about Virtua Fighter 4, did he?

"What's up with you?" Kuroo asked, yanking his arm back.

"You, your soulmate?"

Kuroo's brow quirked.

Noticing the confusion Bokuto pulled his jacket sleeve up, showing the black-haired bow his words that were printed on the skin. "But you're my soulmate!"

Kuroo was stunned for a moment, staring at the familiar colour and words on this stranger's wrist before slowly lifting up the sleeve of his other arm where, lo and behold, said "Stop blocking me!" in silver-grey ink that seemed to sparkle in the sunlight.

Kozume found Bokuto utterly tiring. But the new set of silver words on his wrist were undeniable. "So you're Kenma!"

To which Kozume replied "Ya." Letting the simple response be stuck on the loud boy's wrist, just beneath Kuroo's words, in the same golden colour.

Boats upgrade all the time, it was nearly a ship at this point. Not that it mattered much when the still had to row everywhere.

Collectively, their parent's were all baffled. It only became worse, perhaps better, once another year passed, and Kozume finally entered high school.

Tokyo, though pretty easy to travel across, was big enough to make seeing Bokuto regularly difficult. Unlike Kuroo and Kenma, who had been neighbours for close to 10 years now and practically glued to each other's side all the time, Bokuto was alone. Alone and often wishing he could spend the afternoon spiking Kenma's tosses in and around Kuroo's blocks.

No one could quite toss like Kenma. And every time Bokuto came home to his own team after a visit to the two, he was reminded of the fact.

Akaashi was a welcomed surprise.

Seemingly showing up out of the blue, Akaashi was just what they needed.

Had Akaashi's teammate never suggested going to watch that tournament, and if they didn't happen to walk in just as Bokuto was flying through the air to land an impressive spike, they probably would have met much later in life.

"Heya! You're Ah-kashi, Right?" It would be imprinted on Akaashi's wrist forever in silver ink.

"It's Ah-ka-ah-shi." In teal to match the boy's eyes, sat pretty on Bokuto's clean wrist on its own.

The four finally met all together during that years' inter-high preliminaries tournament. And as soon as they did, it clicked. Fresh introductions plastered onto their wrists. It just made sense somehow. The four balanced well.

Akaashi and Kenma enjoyed the presence of each other, often talking about things that sparked their interests in quiet tones that were calming. Akaashi knew how Bokuto worked, memorized it like a ballet routine much like Kuroo was with Kenma.