Chapter 27

Unedited

"All my life, my heart has yearned for a thing I cannot name." - Andre Breton.

Chapter 27-

Cassidy Jones

"Hey Mrs. Gilmore, I've tried calling you a number of times, I even went by the bookstore to see if you were there, but you weren't." I exhaled my breath, and continued. "If you are getting my messages, please, call me back as soon as you can. I would've come seen you at your house, but I never did get your address. Call me, please."

"No answer?" Gwen asked from my bed, as she was flipping through a magazine and holding an apple in the other hand.

I sighed, running a hand through my blonde hair. "No, I'm starting to get worried."

Gwen closed the magazine, and looked up at me. "You said she takes care of her sick mother, right?"

I nodded my head as my response.

"Maybe she's been ill, and she hasn't had time to check her phone, I'm sure she's okay though."

I didn't think about it like that. Maybe her mom is still sick, that's why Mrs. Gilmore hasn't been at work, or answering her phone. But it doesn't make sense, she would've called me.

"I guess I'll try again tomorrow before we visit Sean," I told Gwen, who nodded her head. "There's nothing else I can do for tonight."

There was a sound of the front door opening and I knew it was my dad, coming home from the hospital.

"Who's that?" Gwen asked, referring to my dad who came in the front door.

"My dad." I replied back, sitting at my computer desk.

She furrowed her brows, a confused expression etched onto her face. "I thought he usually works overnight at the hospital."

"Sometimes if they have extra workers, he'll come home."

She nodded and continued skimming through the magazine, unimpressed by whatever she's seeing.

I thought about how earlier today I asked my dad for a favour. I told him that I'll talk to him about it when he gets home, so I guess now is the time.

I'm going to ask him to be the one who operates on Sean. Knowing my mother, and her busy schedule, she definitely didn't mention Sean to my dad, so I'm going to have to start from the very beginning with him.

I stood up from the computer desk, earning a questioning look from Gwen. "Where are you going?" She asked, once I was at my bedroom door.

"I need to talk to my dad about Sean's surgery tomorrow." I supplied. "You know how my dad is the senior surgeon, I'd feel a lot better knowing he's doing Sean's surgery tomorrow."

"But your dad doesn't work in during the day?" She reminded me, and I cursed under my breath as she said that.

She pouted, giving me an apologetic frown. "Maybe you can ask your dad if he can swap shifts with someone who works during the day."

My face lit up at her suggestion. "That's it!" I exclaimed, walking over to her, sitting on the bed. "I'll tell him to swap with another worker. Plus night shifts are extra pay, so they shouldn't say no."

She smiled and clapped her hands together, happily. "Great! So go talk to your dad then." She shooed with her hands.

I rolled my eyes at her. "If it wasn't for the fact that you gave me a great idea, I would've thrown this pillow at your head." I said, holding up my fluffy pillow.