15. Helpless and Hopeless

Everyone were mildly surprised when they saw Akshara smiling and joining them for breakfast, sitting besides Kairav bhaiya and chirping a good morning to all the others who were watching her as if she was a ghost.

Swarna smiled, as she nudged at Manish and broke his gaze from the mobile towards the new entrant and he couldn't believe that Akshara was finally eating breakfast with them. The very sleepy Arohi and very hungover Vansh were now wide awake and Kairav smiled, as he served Akshara's plate with a simple bread butter and jam sandwich.

'Good Morning, Akshu,' Suhasini Goenka beamed at her, smiling, 'Tumhe yaha dekh ke kaafi Accha lag raha hai, hai na Manish?'

'Accha?' Manish spoke, he may have been the stern fatherly figure to the kids, but he loved them the same nonetheless. 'Mere toh pura din ban gaya,'

Akshara tsked, embarrassed as she tool a bite of her sandwich, 'I forgot how dramatic you guys can get, and that too so early in the morning!'

Vansh groaned in agreement, placing the warm cup of tea on his forehead and Aru nodded too, sleeping on Kairav's shoulder. 'Inn dono ko dekho,' Akhilesh chuckled, as he tried waking the duo but they were already dipped out. 'Akshu, we're so glad that you're up for breakfast today. I hope we'll see you everyday?'

Akshara nodded, taking a deep breath. 'I'll try, AG.'

'That's enough,' Swarna blinked in delight, 'Honestly, you're happy face makes the entire mood of this house happy.'

'Haa Haa, hum toh sautele hai.' Vansh scoffed, taking them all in surprise, still with a headache. 'Hume dekh ke aapko khushi nahi hoti naa...'

'Vansh bhaiya chup ho jaao yaar,' Arohi mumbled, frowning but eyes still shut, as Kairav tapped her face lovingly putting her to sleep. 'Sone do...'

Everyone including Akshara laughed at the crazy duo and she too kept her head on Kairav's other free shoulder, hugging Arohi by outstretched hands. The family smiled at the trio, the three precious children of Karthik and Naira.

Kairav was however the happiest, one sister on either side of his shoulders and he could feel tears welling in his eyes from happiness. He still remembered how he would hold a 2 year old Akshara, placing her on his lap and then a baby Arohi on hers and he would hold both of them till they slept. He also remembered how he held them when their parents died and how they would cry and pass out in his arms. He remembered every single time he only wished the best for his sister and every single time he thought he'd lose them.

But thankfully, they were still here, on his right and the other on his left and he kissed both their foreheads, as he shut his eyes and promised to keep both his princesses happy.

Meanwhile Akshara felt anxious as she held her siblings, she side hugged Kairav and Arohi held her hand, as she kept her breathing steady. Yesterday was her first therapy session after a long gap and she felt all the more anxious and nervous. Every time she had gone to therapy, she hoped to be a little better but it was always downhill. Akshara shut her eyes firm, holding onto the hug like her life depended on it and let one tear drop escape her eye and one small sniff added to the noise.