Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

I got this sense that my mother knew Elisha wasn't my true mate and my wolf Reginald could only huff in agreement. Both of us was stuck on what to do, how to stop what was happening in front of us. Mother's plans were becoming more secretive by the day. She refused to allow no one other than my uncle know what was going on. Everything that I had learned was things that I had deciphered. Reginald and I could sense that there was a war on the horizon as the warriors were training harder than they had before. The war for what? Well that was still a mystery. 

A part of me wanted to believe it was to get my father back but my mother didn't seem bothered by his disappearance. All I could see was that she was slightly irritated. Compared to the people I had witness lose their mates to death, she didn't look heart-broken enough. A part of me wanted to question her but all Reginald sense was that it would be an excuse or another manipulation. For once, I didn't disagree. 

It was late afternoon and I was enjoying the sun setting in the sky. I came to the clearing where I once stood with Leyla. Sometimes I would visit her and Nona's cottage just to get a whiff of her scent. It was the only thing that offered my wolf comfort. I couldn't blame it all on him because when I strolled through the cottage I enjoyed looking at the pictures of her growing up. You could tell Nona loved her with all her heart. 

The guilt I felt towards Leyla was hideous. The way I treated her, the way I dismissed her and her bond did not nothing but add to my pain. Reginald was nothing was frustrated by our mates disappearance but I could sense that he had hope for her survival. All I could feel was unworthy, I knew deep down that I didn't deserve her. I sat on my belly, head of my paws, whining because I knew that there was nothing I could do to take her pain away, nothing I could do that would make things right. 

I had countless opportunities to speak up, to say the truth, to tell my mother, to tell Elisha, to tell the Kingdom that Leyla was my true mate but I was a coward. A huge part of me tried to speak the words but they were stuck in my mouth, lodged down my throat. The more Elisha clung to me the harder the words were to speak. 

It's not just your fault. Don't be too hard on yourself. Reggie huffed.

But it is! She won't forgive me, we nearly got her killed. I replied.      

There's no we. YOU nearly got her killed. But it wasn't just your fault. Even I tried to take over but there was something blocking me from taking action. Reginald admitted. 

What do you mean there was something blocking you? I questioned.

I can't explain it. All these years there has been something stopping us from communicating, have you never noticed it? For years our communication has been lacking, people recognised it as the human having control over the wolf but that was far from the truth. I was being suppressed. Reggie explained. 

What do you mean you were being suppressed? I questioned. 

There was something stopping me from reaching you, communicating with you, it was like we were two separate entities living separating in your body. Rather than there being balance, I was suppressed to the back of your mind. Reggie sighed

An overwhelming sense of guilt and shame fell across my body. Did I push my wolf away? Was I the cause to all the problems that had befallen us? Had I been the cause to him losing his mate. My mind was rushing at a million miles an hour. There was reprieve, my head was thumping from the incoming migraine. 

Don't get me wrong, I blame you for what has happened. You should have listened to Amira, you shouldn't have pushed your father away. You should have spoken to him about your mother's actions, you were misled and betrayed by someone you trusted. However it is not just your fault, there are bigger issues than just your mating to Leyla. Reggie replied. For the first time, it didn't feel like he was berating me. He was offering the comfort that I had longed for. A small tear escaped the eye of my wolf form.