15

Noah

"... and everytime I tried to get her to date this cute guy named, Killian, she used to get all repulsive and shy away from him. Killian even tried to kiss her once-"

"Mom!"

"What?" Darla asked sweetly.

"We were over this. We were not supposed to talk about it, at all."

"No no no, Kerry. Noah dear should know that you have never had a boyfriend before."

I took a glance at Kerry. Her face, her ears, her nose and her neck had turned into a deep shade of red. She was embarrassed by this conversation, I could tell. To me, Kerry didn't look like the type who would date anyone and the cringe she did when Killian is mentioned indicates she didn't want to get involved with him. That is a relief to me. But then if Kerry wanted, she could date every guy because she is gorgeous and no guy could deny that. Unfortunately, my selfishness wouldn't allow me to bare to see my mate with someone else that isn't me.

"But Mom-"

"So Killian really liked Kerry?" I interrupted Kerry's protests.

"Yes! He still looks forward to see her and spend more time with her. He is a nice guy, sweet, caring and honest. It would have been nice if these two ended up together."

I swallowed at that thought. The guy must be nice, caring and all that other stuff but he would never be able to love Kerry the way I do. I know guys who get all sweet and shit. They only want one thing to get a release and then they throw them like garbage.

I heard a small sigh from Kerry. "Can this conversation be over?"

"As you wish, Kerry." Said Darla but not before giving me a wink. "Oh, I'll go and make you some corn soup."

Darla stands and leaves the room with a click of the door behind her. I turn to Kerry who has been rubbing her neck furiously. I know she is shy and uncomfortable right now so I change the topic.

"So... you love reading?"

She looks up. "I do. It's something I can never stop doing and I never get tired of it."

"Romance... or fantasies?"

She smiles. "None. I prefer mysteries and paranormal novels. But I really don't have it in me to watch paranormal movies."

Unexpected.

"Wow! You're something else Kerry."

"I am?"

I shift closer to her and remove her hand from her neck. Then I place my thumb under her chin so that her gaze is only on me.

"I love you." I whispered and she shuddered.

"Noah..."

"Te amo, mi amor." I smile at her confused face. "That means, I love you, my love. You know, you don't have to say it back. I just wanted to let you know that."

My eyes widen when I feel her fingers on my cheek. She traces a small circle there and reaches forward.

"What are you doing to me, Noah? I don't wanna fall in love because I can't love myself enough. But something is happening to me when you're around. I get carried away with your smiles, your laughter, every word you say is important to me. I hate that you have to sleep on the couch. I feel bad when I see the sadness in your eyes. I really love the scent you wear. I... you make me crazy and I don't get why. I've never felt all this before. But Noah, I really am starting to like you more than I wanted to. I adore you and I'm afraid that I'm... I'm slowly... that I..."

"Falling in love?" I whispered.

She gulped and moved away from me. I didn't miss that scared look on her face. I cupped her neck and turned her towards me.

"Is it too soon? Am I too fast? I promise I will take things easy and slowly if it is getting too much for you."

"Its not. I just... love isn't something I look forward to. I don't know what love is."

My eyes softened even more for her. "Do you want to know what love is?"

"No and yes."

I moved closer to her. "Be sure, Kerry. I want to hear you say what you feel right now."

"Yes." Her voice was so low that if I didn't have enhanced hearing, I wouldn't have heard her.

I pulled her body to my chest and hugged her tightly like my life depended on it. She returned the hug with equal force. I kissed the top of her head. The gesture made her smile against my chest.

"I love you, Kerry."

She pulls away and watches me with sadness. I'm about to tell her that she doesn't have to say it back when Darla yells.

"Soups ready!"

We both flinched and sat back as the door opened and in came Darla with the food. I helped her out in setting everything. Before Darla could serve a bowl to Kerry, I did it. She smiled and nodded her head like she knew what it was.

I need to show Kerry who I am. She needs to know. I don't want her to fall in love with me and then hate me in the end. That would be really hard. That day will come soon when I will need to let her know. Just not today or tomorrow. First, she needs to realize that I'm not normal. I need to drop the bomb one by one. Enjoying the food, I drift into my own thoughts while Darla speaks to Kerry.

...

Drop a vote and leave a comment!🥺