Chapter 28

England's POV:

So it turns out, I almost died for no reason. The bloody plan with rope and walker... it didn't work. Glenn came over to our tent where I lay there trying to rest, to tell me. Also, to tell me that he and Maggie were off on a quick run. Don't worry, I didn't forget to tease him about it. ;) He left just a few minutes ago. I groan as I get up, feeling the need to check up on Carl.

I walk over to the house and smile at Beth as soon as I walk, seeing her sitting on the couch next to Jimmy on the couch. I'm pretty sure that's his name.

"Hey, Beth! Beth's boyfriend." I nod towards the couple. They chuckle and say hey in return. "What are you reading there, girly?" Her eyes lit up at my question.

"This novel Maggie bought me for my birthday last year. I never got the chance to read it until now, it's called Red Queen. See?" She turns the cover of a book. My eyebrows shoot up from the book.

"You're into Fantasy? Wow, that's good to know. And that book happens to be my favorite out of the genre." She smiles widely.

"Really?" She asks excitedly. I nod. She gasps. "Can you tell me how she ended up with her powers or if she falls in love with the future king o-or the prince? Oh, can you-" I interrupt her.

"Woah, calm down. There is no way in hell I am going to spoil this book for you, it is way too good." I chuckle, her face falls a little. "What I can tell you is that there will be a huge plot twist, you just got to keep reading." She smiles. I wink at her and turn around.

I go over to the room and see Carl peacefully sleeping. I smile a little and move a few strands of fallen hair from his forehead. I look over to the window as I hear voices.

"You need to reconsider." I hear my father's voice.

"I beg your pardon?" Hershel's voice rings out. What the...

"Asking us to leave." My father states. What? He wants us to leave? "You need to reconsider...If you saw how it is out there, you wouldn't ask. You're a man of belief. If you believe anything, believe that."

"You're putting me on the spot." -Hershel

"Well, I mean to." I hear. I move over to the window to listen in better. What? I already said I'm nosy. "Those people look for me for answers. I wish they didn't, but they do. But I-I'm not asking for them or myself." Dad stutters out. "I'm asking for my children. My little girl and my boy." I scoff, I'm not little anymore. "After the price your friend Otis paid, the least you could do is give it some thought."

"You're a plain-spoken man."

"I'm a father. They're the only thing I do not want to fail... I feel like I do every day." My dad says, making my heart drop. "I lied to him this morning.... It wasn't a big lie, but it was enough." He sighs. "And England... ever since we adopted her... I've always tried to replace the bad memories from her traumatic past with every bit of good. But nothing I do seems to work because she always gets those nightmares...those flashbacks. And I don't know how to help either of them." He finishes. I sigh and lean my head against the wall.

"You told me you stopped having nightmares a long time ago." I hear a voice speak out. My head snaps in the direction, Carl lays awake on the bed staring at me. "Why'd you lie?" I look at him sympathetically and walk over to him. I sit on the chair. His eyes never leave me.

"Because Champ. A kid like you should never have to worry about someone like me. You needed to focus on being the happy kid that you are." I responded. He grabs my hand.

"But you're my sister, English. I will always worry about you. And besides, the only reason I was ever truly happy was because I had you in my corner. Even when you're really annoying." I chuckle and shove his arm lightly. He chuckles too.