Chapter 6: New guy...

(Edited)

England's POV:

The next day I woke up bright and early. I changed into a pair of pants and one of dad's t-shirts. I bring the shirt up to my nose and sniff. I think it still smells like him. 

I walk out of my tent and towards the RV. Where I see Amy pacing back and forth while Dale and Jim are working on the RV.

"Morning, men." I greet them. They turn to me and smile.

"Morning," They say. Dale continues to work. He sighs.

"Boy, that hose isn't long for this world, is it?" He asks no one in particular.

"No, sir." Jim says looking into the engine.

"Where the hell are we gonna find a replacement?" I was about to answer until Amy spoke up.

"It's late. They should've been back by now." She continues pacing. I turn to her and give her a small smile.

"Worrying won't make it better, Ames." She looks at me and walks away. I sigh.

"She's just worried," Jim says. I nod.

"Yeah, I know. Now that I think about it..So am I." I walk over to mom who is working on putting wet clothes on the clothesline. "Morning, mum." I say as I kiss her cheek.

"Morning, hun. Sorry, we didn't wake you. Carl said you looked too peaceful to interrupt you." I laugh.

"It's okay. It actually felt good to sleep for a while." I smile and pick up a shirt to hang up. I look up and see Shane and Carl sitting next to each other, tying knots.

"Attaboy" I hear Shane say.

"Yeah."

"And three two one, pull it." They both laugh. "Start it over." Carl starts to tie the knot again. I call out to him.

"Make a "P" The other way around your finger." They both look up at me and smile. I smile back and continue helping mum.

"Hello, base camp." We hear the CB static turn up. Mum and I look at each other confused. "Can anybody out there hear me?" We make our way over to the CB. "Base camp, this is T-dog. Does anybody hear me?"

"Hello? Hello?" Dale grabs the radio and starts talking. "Reception is bad on this end. Repeat. Repeat."

"Shane, is that you?" We hearT-dog say.

"Is that them?" Mum asks standing next to Carl and me.

"We're - deep sh*t-. Trapped- a department store." I gasp. And look at Shane.

"He says they're trapped?" Shane says, rubbing his neck.

"There- geeks all over the place. Hundreds of 'em. We're surrounded."

"T-dog, repeat that last. Repeat." Dale says concern all over his face. Nothing, but static comes from the other end.

"He said the department store," I speak up. Dale agrees. "Shane?" I walked up to him.

"No way." He shuts me down. "We do not go after them. We do not risk the rest of the group. Y'all know that." I look at him in disbelief.

"So, we're just going to leave her there?" Amy asks, shocked.

"Look, Amy, I know that this is not easy-" She interrupts him.

"She volunteered to go. To help the rest of us." Her voice cracks.

"I know, and she knew the risks, right? See, if she's trapped. She's gone." I look at him in shock. Is he for real? "So we just have to deal with that. There's nothing we can do." Amy looks at him with anger in her eyes. Uh oh.