Chapter 13: Believe him...

England's POV:

"Say it." My father says out of nowhere, looking towards Shane. I roll my eyes not wanting to be a part of this, I continue digging. Digging graves for the ones we lost. And I knew we would have to dig another one after this because Jim was also a bit. My father believes that if we get him to this place called the CDC they could try and save him, but I knew that was too good to be true.

I just wanted to stay put waiting to bury them with Andrea, but I didn't want to be useless doing anything. So reluctantly, I stood up and started helping my father dig. Which is where we are now.

"Okay." Shane nods. "I'm thinking if you'd just stayed here If you'd have looked after your own-" He glances at me and looks back at my dad and continues. "Instead you went off. You took half our manpower with you." I scoff. "Manpower my arse" "I'm thinking maybe our losses wouldn't have been so bad." That's when I snap my head towards him and glare.

"Do not blame him for something nobody could control." Dad steps in.

"If we hadn't gone off and brought those guns back when we did, I think our losses would have been a lot worse." I nod my head in agreement. "Maybe the entire camp." Shane sighs and shakes his head ending the conversation when we hear the truck pull up. Daryl steps out of the truck and walks towards us.

"I still think it's a mistake not burning these bodies." He says. I glare at him. He looks at me. "It's what we said we'd do. Right? Burn 'em all. Wasn't that the idea?" I shake my head at him.

"At first," Dad says. I hear footsteps and see everyone walking towards us ready to bury the bodies.

"Chinaman gets all emotional, says it's not the thing to do. We just follow him along?" He asks no one in particular. I glare at him once again, taking a step towards him.

"His name is Glenn. And he's Korean might I add. What we're doing is not just because my best friend was emotional, but it's because it's the right thing to do. We knew who these people were, they were friends, not strangers. And burning them just because they were infected would make us monsters." I scoff, shaking my head at him. Daryl looks away from me.

"Yeah, well another problem is. These people need to know who the hell's in charge here, what the rules are." I take a step back, looking at my father for an answer.

"There are no rules," he says.

"Well, that's a problem," Mum says catching up to us. "We haven't had one minute to hold onto anything of our old selves. We need time to mourn and we need to bury our dead." She states with a firm voice. "It's what people do." She looks at all of us before walking away. I drag my hand down my face sighing, putting the shovel to the side so we can begin.

After a long while, we have almost everyone buried except for Amy. Andrea starts dragging her body to the last grave and I go over to help. I go to grab her feet but Andrea stops me.

"I can do it. I can do it." She sobs. I look at her with tears in my eyes.

"Hey, she was my family too. Let me help, please?" My voice cracked softly. She cries too but nods allowing me to help. We lay her gently down the grave. Stepping away from it, I help Andrea up and we stare into the grave. After we bury her too, we all head down back to camp. Mum grabs mine and Carl's hand comforting us. Dad comes up on the other side of me putting his around my shoulders giving me a kiss on the side of my head.

"Burying other people is bad enough," He whispers so only we could hear him. "But the thought of one of us-" Mum cuts him off, shushing him. They stop walking. Mum gives me a look.

"Are we safe now, dad?" Carl asks. Mum holds onto his shoulders and dad crouches in front of him. "Now that all four of us are together again?" My eyes soften at his innocence.

"I won't leave again. I promise you that. Not for anything." He looks at all three of us. Carl starts crying. "Now give me a chance to discuss some things with your mom, okay?" he grabs mine and Carl's hand. I nod and move Carl forward heading back to camp.

"Do you believe him?" I look at Carl confused. He sees my face and explains. "About him not leaving us again, I mean. Do you think he'll keep his word?" I grab his arm, making him stop and look at me.

"Why are you asking me that?" He shrugs.

"Because if you believe him, then I believe him. But if you don't, I don't want to be holding onto a false promise." I sigh and hug him tight.

"Dad is a man of his word, Carl. If he makes a promise, I have absolutely no doubt he'll keep it." I move back a little to look at him. "We're too important." He nods. "Now why don't you go find one of the Morales kids or Sofia to play with. Yeah?" He smiles and walks off. I sigh once again trying to keep my nerves down. I should really take my meds. I head on over to the RV where mum is with dad and Shane.

"We can't stay here, we both know that," Dad says taking a step toward Shane.

"I was just telling Shane, I think we should trust your gut." Dad looks at mum. No one said a word. I can tell by the look on Shane's face he was mad.

"Let's go do our sweep." Shane finally says. Dad nods and they both walk away along with Dale. Mum sighs and looks me straight in the eyes. I look at her confused.

"What?"

"I need you to do something for me." I furrow my eyes together wondering why she's acting like this.

"Okay..."

"I need you to stay as far as you can from Shane. You and Carl. Can you do that for me? Please?" I look at her even more confused. Her eyes pleaded for me to listen. I nod.

"Of course. But did something happen? I mean we practically grew up with Shane, why would you want him not around us all of a sudden?" I knew why, I just wanted her to say it. To be honest and stop lying about what she's done. She sighs.

"It just- Shane's different. He's been acting... strange lately and I don't want either of you getting hurt. Okay?" I sigh knowing exactly what she means.

"Okay." She lets out a breath of release and kisses me on the forehead before walking into the RV. Now, what do I do?