Year 3 Part 3 (chapter 13)

Start from the beginning

The girl shakes her head. "I can still do that, sir. Your focus should be on grading papers, not cleaning" she states as she giggles. She starts organising the shelves containing potion ingredients.

Looking a bit surprised as he didn't expect her to do it, Severus sits down at his desk and starts grading the papers. The papers happen to be written by the third-years, Y/L/N's year.

He frowns when he reads Weasley's paper. D for Dreadful. Potter did a better job... P for Poor.

Granger's paper is long... He almost wants to say it's too long. She can get EE for Exceeds Expectations.

Next up is Longbottom's paper. T for Troll, of course.

Draco obviously gets O for Outstanding. So does Y/L/N - hers is beautifully written. Not only the handwriting, but her language as well. Her wording is quite exquisite and precise.

She clearly understands that Potions is art.

Once he's done grading, he heads to the storage room to see how Y/L/N is doing. He's surprised to see that she's finished - she even cleaned the floor.

"I hope it's fine, sir" she says, giving a shy smile.

Severus nods. "It is. Once again, well done. You have truly been a big help. If only the others were like you" he says as he sighs.

"By the way, I was wondering what electives you have chosen?" he asks, looking curious. All third-years have to choose at least two extra subjects to study.

"I chose Ancient Runes and Care of Magical Creatures" she reveals.

"So you were there when Draco got injured, huh?" he questions.

She nods. "That's right. He went too close to the hippogriff" she admits.

Of course it was the boy's own fault - but his parents won't believe that, of course.

"That doesn't surprise me. I am sure that his father will get the hippogriff executed" Severus mutters.

"I think so, too. Which is a shame, it wouldn't have happened if only Draco had listened to Hagrid's warning" Y/L/N explains as she sighs.

She then notices the time. "Oh, I'm so sorry, professor. I have Herbology soon" she says, giving an apologetic look.

The Potions Master shakes his head. "No need to apologise. You must go before you are late" he tells her, understanding.

Nodding, she wishes him a good day before hurrying to her next class.

As she does so, Severus chuckles to himself. They always seem to lose track of time when they are talking together.
______________________________

A little over a month later, the students have just returned from Hogsmeade only to be met by a shocking discovery - Sirius Black has been inside the castle.

He tried to get inside the Gryffindor dormitory. As the Fat Lady denied him access, he attacked her. Because of this, all the students have to sleep in the Great Hall.

Right now, Severus has just entered the Great Hall to report back to the Headmaster.

"The third floor is clear too, sir" Filius tells Albus just as Severus approaches them.

"Now, I have done the dungeons, Headmaster. No sign of Black, nor anywhere else in the castle" he informs.

Albus nods. "I really expected him to linger" he says as he slowly starts walking around, observing the sleeping students.

"Remarkable feat, don't you think? To enter Hogwarts' castle on one's own, completely undetected" Severus points out.

"Quite remarkable, yes" the Headmaster agrees.

"Any theories on how he might have managed?" the Potions Master questions.

He can't believe that no soul has seen Black. Other than the Fat Lady, of course.

"Many, each as unlikely as the next" Albus responds.

"You may recall, prior to the start of term, I did express concerns about the appointment of Professor-" Severus starts, referring to Lupin being a werewolf. However, the old man  interrupts him.

"No single professor inside this castle would help Sirius Black to entries, so I'm quite convinced the castle is safe. And I'm more than willing to send the students back to their houses" the Headmaster states, dismissing the Head of Slytherin's accusations.

"What about Potter? Should he be warned?" Severus questions, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Perhaps, but for now, let him sleep" Albus declares as he turns around and leaves.

The Potions Master growls. He's sure that Lupin helped Black with entering the castle. Those two were friends after all, them and James Potter...

Albus Dumbledore just won't listen to his warnings. Stupid old man.

As Severus is about to leave as well, he notices Y/L/N's sleeping form.

As no one is watching, he lets his expression soften a bit. If the students are sent home, she will most likely be home alone all day as her father works quite a lot.

Unless she can stay with the Malfoys, but he's sure that her father won't approve of that.

He hopes that he will be the one to catch Black. And when he does, he will get his revenge.