Year 3 Part 1 (chapter 11)

Author's note:
A new school year, a new teacher (or two)! Severus Snape and Y/N Y/L/N will have more interactions now that their friendship is growing. I hope you enjoy!
———————————————

Word count: 942

Severus is in his silent and peaceful home in Spinner's End. He's enjoying his summer - away from the dunderhead students.

He's sitting on his couch, sipping on his coffee as he reads the newest edition of the Daily Prophet.

However, one specific article almost makes him spill his coffee on his lap.

It's a wanted poster - of Sirius Black. Severus growls. How in Merlin's name did he escape Azkaban?! That bastard sold Lily and James Potter's location to the Dark Lord...

He sighs deeply, feeling an incoming headache. Great. His summer is now ruined. He hopes that they catch Black soon...
______________________________

Almost two months later, it's once again a new school year - which means a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Severus can't believe who Albus hired this time - Remus Lupin.

As if it wasn't bad enough that Black is on the loose, now he has to work with that damn werewolf. Life has not been kind to Severus Snape. It seems as if his past keeps haunting him all the time.

And of course, as always, he has to sit next to the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher...

"Hello, Severus. It's been a long time. I trust that you are well?" Lupin asks as he smiles.

Severus scowls. "Lupin. I was well until I read the Daily Prophet this summer" he says rather coldly.

Lupin's face immediately turns pale. "Right, of course..." he says, almost inaudible.

Just then, the Frog Choir starts to sing as Filius directs them.

Once they are done with their performance, everybody claps as the Headmaster stands up to begin his speech.

"Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts! Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast" the old man says in a cheery tone.

Severus huffs. The food isn't that great, Albus.

"First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R. J. Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, professor!" Albus says as he gestures to the new teacher.

Everybody claps as Lupin stands up to give everybody a polite bow.

Severus looks more emotionless than he usually does. After a while, he decides to clap as well - if you can call that clapping. He's merely tapping his hands together a few times.

The Potions Master wonders if he will ever get to teach the subject he has longed for so long to teach - Lupin's subject.

"Unfortunately, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid" the Headmaster announces as he gestures to the half-giant.

Everybody starts clapping once again. As Minerva nudges Rubeus on his side to signal him to stand up, the man does so.

He however almost makes the entire table tilt. Many students find that amusing and begin to laugh.

As the Headmaster continues with his speech, Rubeus quickly sits back down on his seat.

"Finally, on a more describing note. At the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will until further notice play host to the Dementors of Azkaban. Until such a time Sirius Black is captured, the Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds" Albus explains, his voice becoming serious.

Everybody starts to whisper about the Dementors and Black.

"Now, while I have been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution - Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving... But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light" he finishes as he makes the candles go out before turning them back on with a wave of his hand.

Once he's done with his speech, everybody starts to eat while they discuss what the Headmaster just told them.

Severus barely eats anything as he's deep in thought. He wonders how Rubeus will do as a teacher... He just hopes that the idiot doesn't get any of the students injured with his rather dangerous creatures.

But more importantly, he wonders if anyone will get harmed by the Dementors. He did hear of Potter's encounter with them on the Hogwarts Express - the boy fainted. Luckily for him, Lupin was there to save him.

Severus then looks at the Slytherin table. Y/L/N is talking with Draco and Parkinson, probably discussing how their summer went.

He notices that she has let her hair grow a bit since he last saw her in June. It suits her.

She herself seems to have grown in height - she might be sitting down, but it's easy to tell.

He suddenly wonders what she does during the summer. She probably reads, a lot. Severus chuckles to himself at that thought. Of course she would read, what else would she do - go outside? Not very likely. Unless she would bring a book with her, of course.

He hopes that she still wants to help him organise the potion shelves. He won't admit it to anyone, but he enjoys her company.

She's the only student, besides Draco, who Severus can tolerate to be around more than necessary.

He almost wants to say that he missed her during the summer.