Year 1 Part 1 (chapter 1)

Word count: 1.1k

It's a new school year at Hogwarts - which means another year with dunderhead students.

Severus Snape, the Potions Master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, is currently sitting at the staff table in the Great Hall.

He's sitting next to Quirinus Quirrell who's the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Severus is NOT happy about that - he has wished to teach that subject for years.

The Headmaster never allows him, though. Stupid old man.

All the teachers and students are waiting for Professor Minerva McGonagall to enter with the first-year students.

Severus sighs before taking a sip of his water. He refuses to drink pumpkin juice as he absolutely despises that. Thank Merlin that water is an option.

"W-what is the matter, S-Severus?" Quirrell asks, stammering.

Severus rolls his eyes at him. "Nothing, Quirrell" he growls.

Just then, the door opens to reveal the Deputy Headmistress walking ahead of the group of first-years. They all look in awe at the ceiling of the room. However, most of them also look scared to death - they probably have no idea what is going to happen to them.

Severus can't help but smirk at their frightened faces. He wonders how many of them will be in Slytherin. Well, he can only guess until it is revealed.

Minerva stops in front of the wooden stool with the Sorting Hat on top of it. She then turns to look at all the first-years.

"Will you wait along here, please?" she asks the students politely as she points in front of her.

All of the children stop instantly, not really knowing what to do with themselves. Some of them look quite pale as they are waiting.

"Now, before we begin, Headmaster Dumbledore would like to say a few words" she states as she gestures to Albus Dumbledore who rises from his seat.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first-years, please note that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our Caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you" the long-bearded Headmaster says.

Meanwhile, most of the new students look absolutely terrified while some of them look confused - a painful death? Is the school not safe?

Severus smirks at their reactions. He does hope that none of them will cause trouble and go to the forbidden corridor, though. They most likely will, such imbeciles.

His train of thoughts is interrupted as Minerva pulls out a parchment.

"Now, when I call your name, you will come forth. I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head and you will be sorted into your Houses" she explains as she grabs the Hat, showing it to the students.

She then starts to read the names. "Hermione Granger" she calls.

The girl looks a bit hesitant, talking to herself before stepping forward. She sits down as the Hat is placed on her head.

"Gryffindor!" the Sorting Hat shouts. Everybody at the Gryffindor table can be seen clapping as she runs towards them.

Severus scowls. Great, a Gryffindor.

"Draco Malfoy" Minerva calls. The boy slowly walks towards the stool as he sits down.

"Slytherin!" the Hat shouts, barely touching his head. The boy gives a smug smile as he confidently walks towards the Slytherin table where everyone is clapping, quite loudly.

Severus claps as well. Finally, someone in his House. He didn't expect anything different, Draco Malfoy is after all Lucius Malfoy's son - as well as Severus' Godson.

As it's Susan Bones' turn, Severus can't help but look at a particular boy. Harry Potter... The son of his former best friend, as well as the son of one of his bullies when he went to Hogwarts.

The boy looks exactly like James Potter. Severus may vomit.

As he's staring at the boy with a hand on his chin, he doesn't notice Quirrell talking to himself right next to him. Suddenly, the boy holds his scarred forehead in pain.

This confuses Severus, but he doesn't get to think further about it as his thoughts are interrupted when the Hat sorts the Bones girl into Hufflepuff.

"Ronald Weasley" Minerva calls once the Hufflepuff girl sits down at her table where everyone is clapping.

The boy looks absolutely nervous. He gulps before walking towards the stool very slowly.

Severus rolls his eyes. Not another Weasley.

"Gryffindor!" the Hat shouts which makes the red-haired boy sigh in relief. He walks towards his table where everyone is clapping - his three older brothers are standing up, giving him a warm welcome.

"Y/N Y/L/N" Minerva then calls.

That caught Severus' attention. Y/L/N? He swears he has heard that last name before, but can't remember from where.

He takes a good look at the girl. She's quite small compared to her fellow first-years. Her hair is braided down her back. She seems quite shy - she slowly walks towards the stool, not looking at anyone. She's probably uncomfortable with the many eyes on her.

She sits down on the stool, looking down at her feet as Minerva places the Hat on her head. Severus guesses that she will be sorted into Hufflepuff.

He secretly hopes that she will be sorted into Slytherin - he won't admit it to anyone, but he's quite intrigued by this girl.

"Slytherin!" the Hat shouts.

Everybody at the Slytherin table claps. So does the Potions Master. As she shyly walks towards her table and sits down, Severus can't help but keep looking at her. He will need to find out where he has heard that last name before.

His thoughts are interrupted as the dreaded name is mentioned.

"Harry Potter" Minerva finally calls. Everybody instantly turns silent as they all look at the Boy Who Lived.

The boy with the round glasses widens his eyes before finally walking towards the stool, occasionally looking behind him where people are whispering. As he sits down and the Hat is placed on his head, there is silence for a long time.

Severus is getting impatient. The boy obviously belongs in Gryffindor like his pathetic father, what is taking the Sorting Hat so long to decide?

After a while, the Hat finally sorts him.

"Gryffindor!" it shouts. Everybody at the Gryffindor table claps loudly. The boy smiles before walking to his table where he shakes everyone's hands.

Severus growls. He wonders what trouble the Potter boy will bring Hogwarts. The Potions Master is dreading the next seven years.

He can't help but once again think about the girl, Y/N Y/L/N. He wonders if she will be a dunderhead like the rest of his students.

Or perhaps she will bring some light into his life?