Secrets And Graves

Amanda chuckled at everyone's shocked expression when Victor insisted she represented him. "May I let you know that this is her first case at Oz Corp." One of Patrick's lawyers stated. "Mr. governor–" Patrick tried to say but was cut short.

"–who is this?" The governor asked.

"The best graduating student from Harvard," Philip interjected, cutting his father short. The governor turned sharply to Amanda, he eyed her from the head down, and then a low hiss escaped his lips. "This case ends today...I have had enough drama." He stated, striding into the courtroom. Amanda followed suit but was pulled back by Victor junior, "Sharon talked me into this, you better get me out, and you better keep to your promise." He stated icily, following his father in. Amanda exhaled deeply and then marched into the courtroom. "Amanda, remember all we talked about, don't deviate... this is not the time for show off. We must win this." Patrick said. "Yes, sir," Amanda nodded and proceeded to sit beside her client.

Soon the court began with Tracy's mother, Martha, on the stand. "Can you tell us how Mr. Victor's presence in your daughter's life influenced her?" Mrs. Landmark asked. "She changed..." Martha said, shaking her head. "My daughter was a good girl, but when she started hanging out with Sharon and Victor, she changed...." She paused, taking a deep breath. "She changed negatively," Martha added.

Nodding, Mrs. Landmark continued, "Can you recall the night your daughter died?"

"Yes," Martha answered sharply. "I had brought some noodles to her."

"Tell the court about that night," Mrs. Landmark urged in a strict tone. "She looked very sad and drowsy.... She refused to eat, and she told me she had a tummy ache." Martha paused, sniffing back a sob, "she insisted she needed to be left alone, and then I heard noises...I went up the stairs to check on her, and I met Victor in her room, and by morning she was dead." Martha said, her voice breaking in the end. "That would be all, your honor."

Amanda stood up abruptly the minute the judge asked for the defendant; she rubbed her sweaty palms together and walked forward. "May I address you by your first name?" she asked.

"Ye....yes," Martha stuttered, coughing to push back her tears. "What is the name of the noodles?"

"Wh...wh....what?" Martha asked incoherently.

"What is the name of the noodles... the company name?" Amanda continued, "the one you gave your daughter." Martha suddenly looked down, "Vic's Noodles," she murmured. "Can you repeat that for the court?" Amanda pressed. "Vic's Noodles," Martha said loudly.

Amanda turned to the jury, "as we know, Vic's Noodles is owned by Victoria White, and Victor sends twenty cartons every month to your house." She walked over to the judge's corner, "these are the delivery papers."

"Martha, do you pay for these noodles?" Amanda asked. "No," Martha answered, shaking her head. "And after the death of Tracy, you called Mr. Victor to request for more noodles. This also happened yesterday, yes or no?"

Mrs. Landmark shot up from her seat, "objection my lord, these questions are meaningless."

"Overruled, Mrs. Trager, answer the question." The judge said, watching the woman. Amanda took a cautious step forward, "did you call Mr. Victor to request more noodles?"

"Yes."

"Tell the court why?" Amanda pressed.

Martha's eyes traveled from her husband to the jury and then stayed fixated on Amanda, who slightly cocked her head to the side, waiting, "You know...." She started, "you saw the car...it was a rental car –"

"–Martha, please answer my question," Amanda interjected, cutting Martha off. "We are having money problems." Nodding, Amanda continued, "and when did it start?"