In Plain Sight

Amanda bit down the tip of her tongue as she strolled into the courtroom with three of Patrick's lawyers. The media had flooded the entrance. Even the governor and his wife were present. Amanda's heart melted when the first lady gripped victor, the accused's hand as they took their seat. She gave them a reassuring smile and then swallowed hard the minute her eyes landed on Mrs. Landmark. The woman was a bloody shark, and she didn't like to lose. This was it; she exhaled, taking a seat beside her team. A hard body brushed her side, sitting swiftly beside her. Turning to see who it was, she cursed lowly, "dammit!"

"I thought you told me to avoid you?" She said, with sarcasm lacing her voice. "You could stand up right now and walk out of this court to the office and wait for my instructions." Philip replied, drawing on each word. Chuckling, Amanda shrugged and darted her eyes to the front, "why would I leave this for your petty case." Philip gasped, "We are defending Marvel Height. Do you know how much that company is worth?" Amanda pressed her palm to her lips, an attempt to muffle her laughter. "This is the governor's case... it gives us more exposure to politicians."

Philip tsked with eyes growing wide, "oh..." he trailed off, staring at her glossy lips, "you really are one of those vultures in disguise, aren't you?"

"No, sir. More like an eagle."

"I see," Philip whispered, more to himself. "An eagle," he added.

Amanda and Philip's banter came to a pause when the bailiff announced the judge's presence. As the case was read out, Amanda turned toward her client, and her eyes traveled to the interlocked arms of Victor and his mother, the first lady, Victoria. She rubbed against his right arm in an attempt to abate his worries. Mrs. Landmark, the persecutor rose and walked to the front of the courtroom upon the judge's call.  Mrs. Landmark greeted the court and then looked straight to Patrick and his team. Amanda's eyes narrowed at the middle-aged woman. 'There has got to be something between these two,' she thought as her eyes darted back forth between Patrick and Mrs. Landmark. "I call on my first witness, Sharon Gordon."

A young brunette girl walked forward; she swore and took the stand.  "Please tell the court your relationship with Mr. Victor Junior White," the persecutor, Mrs. Landmark, started. "Victor is my best friend as well as Tracy."

"What kind of relationship transpired between Mr. Victor and Miss Tracy?" Mrs. Landmark asked, walking towards her seat. "They were dating, and they broke up."

"Miss Sharon, you said Mr. Victor and Miss Tracy are your best friends. Meaning you share secrets?" Sharon's eyes darted to her intertwined fingers, and then her eyes traveled to Victor. He held her gaze for a few seconds and then looked away. "Did you see that?" Amanda whispered to Philip. "See what?" Shrugging, she answered in a whisper, "never mind."

Mrs. Landmark let out a stifled sigh and then walked toward the stand. "Do you?"

"I...I can't say...."

"Objection, your honor," Patrick interjected. "It is a simple question." Mr. Landmark rushed out. "Overruled, persecutor, you may proceed." The judge stated. Swallowing hard, Sharon answered, "yes." With a small smile, Mrs. Landmark continued, "in that case, why did they break up?"

"I...I....guess they fell out of love."

"Objection, your honor, these questions hold no meaning," Patrick chipped in. The judge sighed, "Sustained." He then turned to Mrs. Landmark, "refrain from unintelligible questions." She gave a slight nod and continued, "Would you tell the court why you were kissing Mr. Victor, who you claimed is your best friend."

Patrick stands abruptly, "objection, there is no proof of this."

"Your honor, we got a photo to prove this." Patrick scoffed, glaring at the evidence displayed for the court on screen. "Th...tha..." Sharon trailed off. "That would be all, your honor." Mrs. Landmark said, marching back to her seat.