Chapter 14: Loving the bad boys name: I like me too

Bree's POV

I look up from collecting books from my locker for my first class when someone clears their throat beside me. I turn to see the one and only Carson casually resting with his arms folded against a locker a few doors down from mine.

I heave in agitation and slam my locker shut, ready to give him an earful. "I don't have time to—"

My sentence is cut off however when he holds up a hand in objection. He steps closers to me, a desperate look in his eyes. "Look, I need your help. You don't have to agree but at least hear me out..."

I take in his pleading gaze, sighing reluctantly. "I'm listening..."

He leans in close to me, lowering his voice a few octaves. "It's my mom's first date since the divorce. The whole thing was super hard for her and I can tell she's excited to finally be putting herself out there again but the sitter cancelled last minute."

"Okay so...?"

"Soooo, I offered to look after Zoey." He tells me. "But I can't do it on my own."

I raise an eyebrow, sending him a dubious look so he sighs and continues speaking. "I love the rugrat but I've never looked after her on my own for a full night. I have no idea what to do."

"Well have you asked Sarah?"

He rolls his eyes as if my question was stupid. "Of course I have. But she hasn't gotten back from Long Island yet."

I fold my arms, still unconvinced. "I don't know Carson..."

He sighs, reaching out to softly touch my forearm. "Please help me out. I saw how you were with Zoey in the coffee shop, she loves you."

He stares at me pleading again and I roll my eyes grudgingly. "Alright, fine. I'll do it."

Carson instantly pulls me in for a hug and I laughed at how happy he was. I tapped his back softly, kinda weirded out by the fact I was hugging him.

The bell sounded through the hall, people instantly starting to rush around.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

It was around eight o'clock as I sat in Carson's mom's living room. It felt kinda weird being in Ms Acaster's home. I mean after all she was my principle but I guess for someone like Carson, they had to adjust to seeing a teacher outside of school hours, seeing as though Ms Acaster was his mom. Carson had offered to pick me up but I had declined his offer, instead asking for his address and getting Peterson to give me a ride. I figured I didn't need to be spending anymore time with Carson than necessary.

Some children's cartoon played on the TV as Zoey played with some of her toys that I'd spread out on the carpet, as she sung along to the nursery rhyme.

"Awe she's adorable." Brec and Sofia gush simultaneously on our FaceTime call, as I position my phone in Zoey's direction as she sways side to side, clapping excitedly along to the music.

I had promised to my friends back home to consciously make more of an effort to stay in contact. Recently, I have been pretty busy working alongside Amira at Deception as well as preparing my designs for the fashion show that I had forgotten to stay in the loop with my friends back home. It was nice speaking to Brec and Sofia and I couldn't wait to see them again.

Just then, Carson walks into the livingroom, a plastic bowl of chopped up fruit in his hand. He crouches down and positions the bowl in-between Zoey's legs. She mumbles somewhat of a thank you, her eyes still trained on her cartoon. I watch as he laughs at her absentmindedness before swiftly kissing her cheek, and making his way over to me on the couch.

"Here you go."

I thank him as he pulls the bottle of water that I had requested from under his arm and hands it to me.

"We'll let you get back to babysitting." Sofia says, as she hears Carson's voice.

"I miss you guys, bye!" I tell them, ending the call.

"So..." He says, resting his arms around the back of the couch. "Why didn't Ryder come with you?"

I scoff, running a hand through my tangled hair. "I don't think it takes three people to look after one baby. Plus he already made plans with Blake."

"What a shame..." He concludes almost snidely, as he drums his fingers against the back of the couch.

I eye him suspiciously. "I can't tell if you're being sincere or not."

He laughs at my skepticism, lightly shaking his head. "Why wouldn't I be? Ryder and I are bro's."

"Yeah, unfortunately." I snort.

It was his turn to eye me suspiciously. "Why'd you hate that I'm friends with your boyfriend so much?"

"Because you're an asshole..?"

"Or maybe..." He taunts leaning closer to me, clearly finding this conversation amusing. "...maybe it's because you can't stand the fact that your boyfriend and the guy you like are getting along so well."

I shake my head firmly. "I don't like you Carson."

He grins at me smugly. "Well that's too bad because I like you."

I sit up in a poised manner as I scoff dauntlessly at him, my reply instant. "I like me too."

He throws his head back in laughter. "Brains, beauty and humor. You're the full package."

I sigh deeply, averting my eyes from Carson and turning to look at Zoey. She was still deeply engrossed in her cartoon as she slowly nibbled on her fruit. "You don't even know me." I say finally, after a few passing moments of silence.

He shrugs. "No but I could if you would just give me the chance to-"

I angrily point my index finger at him, cutting off his sentence as I feel my irritation rising. "Carson, give it up. You and I are never going to happen."

He opens his mouth to retort but quickly closes it, thinking about his response for a few seconds before finally landing on one, a smug smile on his face as he delivers it.

"Don't count on that, new girl."

A/N:

Uhhhh Carson has his sights set on Bree...or does he? 👀

I wanna say thank you to everyone's who reading and supporting this book. As always, don't forget to vote and comment :p

Kiyah12xox💋