Chapter 33

"Gabriel" I say in shock.

Alexios silently moves besides me.

"No need to fear "Gabriel says putting his hands up in the air "I'm guarding this"

"For who? "Asked Alexios.

"For you , Conner made me save it for you both"

Alex turns to me and I shrug.

He walks over and reaches out for the dagger from Gabriel who obediently hands it to him

"Do you know why he wanted us to find this?" I ask chewing my lips in worry.

Gabriel pauses for a moment then moves his lips as if trying to speak but failing.

He was looking slightly dishevelled , his shaggy brown hair looking as if it had been hit by a hurricane.

"We work together , that's all I am at liberty to say"

I frown.

Alex slips the dagger into his pocket , not giving me much chance to examine it , he shakes his head towards the exist signalling it's time for us to leave.

"Thanks for uh keeping this safe Gabriel" I tell him " but are you sure there's nothing he told you to tell us? "I ask

"There's nothing he can say" he replies

Another vague and cryptic response.

"Right "I mutter turning to join Alexios and walking to the exit.

A dozen guards march out of the sides of the cave and block out exit.

"Guards" says the prince sternly  "Report to me"

Th guards remain silent , they are lined up one by one across the entrance , blocking our way out.

The prince moves closer.

"Move out of my way" He snarls.

They don't meet his eye and they remain still.

"It was a trap , Conner is trapping us here" I frantically tell my self , or Alexios , I don't know.

Gabriel snorts.

I turn towards him discreetly pulling out my dagger in preparation for conflict.

But Alexios was already there.

"Spare me the trouble" the prince said as he brought Conner's blade to Gabriel's neck

"Are you going to explain what's going on or should I slit your throat?"

The guards tense but they remain blocking the tunnel.

Making sure we don't leave is a bigger priority to them than the murder of Gabriel.

Interesting.

Alexios looks down at Gabriel almost thoughtfully as he waits for his answer , like he's held people at knife point a million times.

He probably has.

"No one is going to hurt you" Gabriel tells the prince with a slight tremble " There was a threat at the revel , you're being kept safe"

"You're going to have to do a lot better than that" I say with a pointed look at Alex.

He grins at me , and i struggle to catch my breath as i anticipate what his next move could possibly be.

He releases his grip on the blade for a moment before he punches Gabriel in the face.

I think i hear an nose bone snap.