Chapter 29

I put on my ring and look at them both with a smile.

"What now? "I ask

"Well, judging from what you said , opening the tunnels should alert them , they should show up any moment now"

"That's my queue to leave , you've got your evidence right? let's go"

Alex reaches out to touch the water , he pulls it away after a moment but I could see the red scarring it left.

He doesn't even wince at the burning pain it caused me last time.

Ben frowns as he pulls his blade out and puts it under the tap "It doesn't do anything to silver , put your ring under it "he tells me.

I nod and put my ring under it.

Nothing happens.

"It only burns flesh "Ben says.

I nod "I am going now "I tell them and turn towards my rooms.

But then I hear whispers from the tunnels , I turn to Ben and Alex and pull them both by their shirts as we hide behind the wall next to the tunnel.

Just as we're out of sight , two old women come out.

They're both short and white haired. Twins , I realise , for a moment they're not chanting , their teeth are clinking violently against each other as they cluck around the fountain, sniffing in search of something.

They seem to be blind, following the sounds of each other's teeth.

One of them hisses something in a language I don't understand and the other replies.

Then Alana comes out of the tunnels.

She was walking.

Her wheelchair was nowhere to be seen.

I look to Alex who's face is face is a mirror of my own shock.

"Cronie can you smell anything?" she says sounding bored.

One of the ladies shakes her head.

"Carrie?"She says to the other.

Carrie sniffs around for another second before she shakes her head sadly.

"You bitches are getting too old "Alana snarls.

She pulls out a dagger identical to Alex's and then she walks to Cronie.

And slits her throat.

I stifle a gasp as I grab onto Alex's shirt and open my mouth in horror.

He holds me by the neck and buries my face into his chest to prevent me from seeing anymore.

I hear his heart beating so fast I almost feel it crash against my forehead.

I hold on to him tightly , i don't care if he's my enemy , I don't ever want to look away from his chest right now

I never want to see the angel fountain again.

I never want to see princess Alana.

After a few moments Ben whispers.

"She's gone"

I don't pull away from the prince , he doesn't move either.

I expect my self to cry but I feel numb , I don't move , I don't even dare breathe.

"Alex "Ben says to his brother.

Alex grabs on to my shoulders and moves me away.

I stand still and look down at the floor.