Chapter 15

I try and steady my shaking hands on the way to my room.

What the hell ?

Matthew seemed sure that his words would have an effect on me.

A coercion of some sorts.

And for it hadn't worked obviously,had the gold he'd asked about somehow protected me?

Nonsense he can't actually have such a power , the palace was shady but i'm not about to jump to the supernatural as an answer.

I shut my door behind me as i take out my dagger.

I'd stabbed someone in the leg.

The guilt was yet to hit me , i felt numb with fear.

I go to my bathroom and turn on my tap staring at the water washing away blood from the blade dagger.

I'm defiantly holding on to it from now on.

I put it at my night stand and i think about Matthew's words as i change into my night gown.

He'd be coming to collect me exactly one month from today to do some sort of task.

Who even was he ? He looked middle aged and judging by his clothing he was probably a member of the nobility.Was he a member of the King's court?if so i need to look out for him  in the dining hall and act like i have never met him or stabbed his friend.

And their talk of the devil,that must have been the chanting i'd heard earlier , they might be some type of satanic cult.

One thing i know for sure , i'm glad as hell i didn't wander into those tunnels.

But if they were opened so easily , by touching a statue , then i'm sure someone else must have opened them before.

I had a month to think of a way out of this for my self , if i can't figure this out by then , i'll have no choice but to leave the castle .

I consider telling someone but decide against it.

Not yet.

I will use my immunity to his "coercion" to my advantage to figure out what's he up too , because if i tell the princess and the guards arrest him he will know i recalled what happened that night and after i leave the protection of the royal palace he'd send someone for me.

I also didn't have any no proof and had no intention of leaving without figuring out what he's up to.

I scoff at their stupidity thinking they are seriously working for the devil ,their leader must have thoroughly brainwashed them .

Devil or not ,i am dreading going anywhere near them and whatever they do behind those walls.

I turn off the lights and slip into bed.

The next day my lessons are set start , i go down for breakfast at 9 o"clock.

I was supposed to have history of international relations and combat training yesterday but i was passed out half the day thanks the Alexios.

Alexios , my teeth almost shatter because of hard i'm grinding them at the thought of him.

How dare he drug me?

I imagine my self chasing him and throwing daggers at his back to calm my self down.

I hate him.

But today i have lessons of etiquette at 10 and then i'd be spending the afternoon observing the government at court.My heart raced in anticipation.The events of the past three days had almost made me forget why i was here.

Victoria and Luke are nowhere to be seen so i sit by myself but from the corner of my eye i see Matthew and James ,laughing with a bunch of courtiers , like i thought , they're members of the nobility.

I work hard to keep my face neutral , careful not to meet their eye. I couldn't help but smile at seeing James' thigh bandaged and him giving a wince every time he moves.

Serves him right.

After i eat a feast of eggs and sausages and a delicious blueberry smoothie , having regained my appetite , i make my way to the eastern tower but unfortunately am ambushed before i make it to the room i'm supposed to be meeting my scholar.

An arm is wrapped around my shoulder and i swiftly turn around to see a smiling Milo.

I roll my eyes sigh as i shrug of his hands.

"Not cute Melian"he says

"I don't know what you're talking about"i reply dryly.

"Rats don't happen to be my favorite meal"

"How unfortunate"i say hurrying my pace

"Are you starting your classes today?" he asked looking genuinely interested

"Yes not that it's any of your business"

"Well it is if you're going to be joining us in court this afternoon"

i roll my eyes again.Of course they'll be there.

"Stay out of my way and i'll stay out of yours"

"Yeah i thought getting drugged might have that effect"he smirked and i frowned in confusion.

"You've given up" he explains with raised brows.

i turn around swiftly to glare at him

"Give up on what"

"Elide , i saw that fire in your eyes when you pushed Judith in the lake , when you saw the rats in our food , but now you're quiet,broken, i have to give it to the young prince, he hadn't even discussed his idea to drug you with us , Jadiel had a much more.......graphic idea in mind,but i guess he's keeping you for himself until you leave" he said thoughtfully.

"I'm flattered" i say sarcastically "Is that it what you all want , do you want me to leave?"

He nods.

"Why?"

"Because you don't belong here , no one from the outside does , you know what it's been like in Medrania since we separated from the US?peaceful!"

"And outside , famine , disease , wars and hatred ,the last thing we need is for our country to be infected"Milo explained "No offence" he added with a smirk

"Well i assure you i have no plans on infecting your country"I scoff.

And then i say give him a long look and say

"Don't make the mistake of thinking your taunts resulted in my silence"

"No, all you did was make me realise how far i'm willing to go and what i am prepared to tolerate to stay at Yorthendon , so i'll put up with your foolishness because it means i'll have every thing i have ever dreamed of when i leave and you'll be left with a realisation of your cowardice and arrogance and a reminder of how wicked you're prepared to be to remain in power"

I look into his shocked light brown eyes "I am far better than you Milo ,i won't bow down to the will of any prince , i will always put my morals first" I continue referring to the incident at the lake.

He just stares at me , i caught a flicker of embarrassment he was late to hide.

And with that i turn away from him and walk into the lecture hall.