Chapter 4

As i close the door to my room i try shake away the image of what i just saw from my head.

I'd been foolishly enjoying the luxurious food offered to me while someone had been plotting whatever this was in the kitchens.

Was it witchcraft ? Symbolic ? or just plain wierd?

i sighed as i ensure my doors are locked.

The last thing i need is for some rat tails to show up on my bedside table.

I walk into my bathroom as i wash my face , and wish i could wash away what happened today too.

Imagine if i'd taken a another bite without realising what awaited me.

Would i have died?

Are rats even poisonous for humans?

This one certainly looked poisonous with those red eyes.

I open my wardrobe and slip on one of the nightgowns brought for me.

These i will admit, did not look outdated.

The gown i chose was white and reached just above my knees , i put on a robe over it .

Sliding into the bed, i take out the journal i bought for this trip and write down everything of note from today.

Rat aside that cake was seriously good.

I might even be able to try it again after a couple of weeks of recovery.

I'm still seriously creeped out though.

I spend some time lying in bed, thinking about the queen and the weird feelings i received from her today.

And princess Alana who seemed to have every opposing opinion to her mother.

After a couple hours of hopelessly trying to sleep i give up.

Before i could speak my self out of it , i slipped out of my robe and put on my tight black cami top and some black skinny jeans and some converse in case i needed to run from anymore rat attacks.

Joking.

Not really.

It just felt appropriate to dress in black when i'm sneaking around the palace at night.

I unlock my bedroom door and find the corridor empty.

Convenient.

It was also dark and scary.

Not so convenient.

I realise they probably use candles here in Medrania.

I make a mental note to ask Jeremiah for some the next time i see him.

I make my way through the corridor to the stairs as i try recall how jeremiah took me to the tea room.

I makes it to the familiar silver doors and then go through the 2nd door that leads to the dining room.

The palace is earily quiet at night.

I look at the dining table now empty and notice the night light from the window illuminated the walls.

I noticed one painting in particular shining in the end of the room.

I move closer to discover the gorgeous navy blue painting in a silver frame.

It illustrated an image of a night sky,splashed with commets and stars.

That definitely wasn't there earlier, i smile as i realise the stars on the painting must have been painted using a glow in the dark substance.

I move away from the beautiful painting and i open the other door that the servant girl from earlier was standing at.

It opens to the kitchens.

Who makes cake for three?

No one.

So there must be some slices left right? Preferably without rat heads in them

I need to examine the kitchen and the cake in case i find anything that points me towards this girl, who i am sure was behind all this.

But,why?

Are the servants really that bored?

i look around the kitchen,the size of my bed chamber,the equipment is clean but basic and ancient looking,like everything in this place.

i open the pantry and smile as my eyes land on the jack pot.

i take out the container of medranian cake and put it on the counter.

i slice the cake into 6 slices and i examine each one.

No rats head.

So whoever did this wasn't the baker,it was whoever handled the cake after, which meant they specifically targeted me.

The rats head didn't look baked either but they made a whole in the cake and stuck a rat in , they meant business.

My luck knows no limits.

i set the cake down and i lied against the counter.

Searching for any personal belongings left behind to indicate the workers of this place.

Nothing,it was difficult to see anyways without a candle.

It's a shame i missed out on dessert , while i am at it , i turn to the pantry in search of anything else i can try out.

I notice a box filled with sugar biscuits.

They will do for tonight.

I shrug and put them down before i stand on my tip toes to reach a plate on the cabinet.

Why on earth are the cabinets this high up ?

I look around and find no plates,only cups so i turn to the other cupboard but suddenly I feel a presence behind me.

I instantly freeze as a strong hand grips my waist and move me out of the way.

Shit.

My stomach drops so hard my whole body freezes.

Then I hear a deep male chuckle come from behind me.