The real bad guy was out cold on the ground, while he was being treated like a criminal. It was his duty to protect her, although she didn't seem like she needed any protection.

"..."

"But we'll protect you this time. Just let me explain everything..." Ezra stopped talking noticing the downcast expression on Ann's face.

"My lady?" Ezra called out hesitantly. The words had spilled out of his mouth naturally.

"For the last time, I'm not your f*ckin lady!" Ann roared, causing Ezra to flinch back again.

After years of effort, she was not going to let everything go down the drain just because she stood against the plotline of the novel to live her life the way she wanted.

*BOOM* *BOOM*

Right then, loud explosions were heard in the direction of the merchant headquarters. 

"What the..." Ann let go of Ezra and turned back to find the merchant headquarters engulfed in a sea of fire.

Flames rose to the sky as if there was a volcano erupting as one half of the building collapsed into nothing leaving behind a large sinkhole.

Black smoke covered the starry skies with darkness, polluting the air and making it hard to breathe. 

Countless screams were heard as people started running across the streets in an effort to save their lives.

"?"

At that moment, Ann felt three sets of eyes on the back of her head. She looked back to find the twins and Ezra staring at her with a dubious expression.

Just a few minutes ago, she had joked about bombing the city as if she was prophesying the future.

"Why are you looking at me like that?! I was with you the entire time!"  Ann felt wronged. Under no circumstances would she ever hurt innocent beings in her own violation.

"I would never do anything to hurt innocent people!"

"Then who did?" Noah pondered while Ann eyed Ezra, who in turn shook his head left and right to deny the unspoken accusations.

Before they could recover from the first attack another series of explosions followed, sending the people in the streets into a frenzy.

*BOOM* *BOOM* *BOOM*

"Again?" 

The explosions this time were considerably smaller than the previous ones but still left a lot of damage to both life and property.

Since the group was away from the explosions they were not injured, but the people nearby weren't as lucky enough. 

Fortunately, the city guards were the first responders to the blast, having been called in to deal with a small commission near the city square. 

With the help of some civilians, the guards evacuated the building and the stores beside them, while stopping the fire from spreading.

Although the Nero mercenaries wanted to join in with them, they already had their hands full at the moment.

"Guys... I think I have a pretty good idea about that" said Oliver his eyes fixed on the cold empty ground.

In the heat of the bombings, they had completely forgotten the assassin they had subdued earlier. 

"Where did he go?!"

Ann's eyes searched across the people running around in a panic.

In the distance, she could see the masked assassin stumbling amongst the wave of people headed to the town square.