As per the novel's timeline, the person on the recipient side of their hatred should be the heroine of the novel, not the killed-off cannon fodder.

Moreover, aside from Edward and his train of troubles, Angelica did not have any enemies. Those too were shaken off when she severed ties with that life.

At that moment, a thought struck Ann. It does not necessarily have to be the antagonists of the novel. And the only person that came to her mind was... Edward.

But.

Nobody knew that Angelica was alive except for her family members. As she calculated before, even if Edward were to somehow use his male lead buffs to find out about her existence, why would he want her dead?

Edward Frost might be a cold-hearted obsessive maniac, but his obsession was entirely focused on one person and one person only. And that was Helen Layton. He would not waste time looking for his dead wife unless it was somehow threatening the position of his loved one.

In the worst-case scenario, if Edward really wanted her dead, why would he send the same assassins who tried to kill her? Were they not the ones who put the Havu curse on him in the first place?

Ann furrowed her brows, her head throbbing from the overload of information.

All the while, Ezra had been watching the scene unfold in front of him with eyes wide as a football pool.

'What on eorthe am I witnessing!?' Ezra gulped on discovering yet another side of the young lady.

Not only was he stupid enough to run his mouth to the worst person possible, but he was also being held captive by two of the most crafty beastmen he had ever known. The twins were blocking him on both sides squashing any chances of escape.

Even if he were to fight his way out of this mess, it would still put a dent in their well-crafted plan that took years of preparation.

After staring at the masked man for a prolonged time, Ann turned her attention towards Ezra.

"!" 

Ezra flinched at the sight of her hostile gaze.

Although the attack had nothing to do with him, Ezra could instinctively feel that he was the obvious suspect in line.

"You!" Ann growled under her breath and walked over the masked assassin towards Ezra.

"This is you, isn't it?" She interrogated, holding him by the collar with a dagger pressed to his neck.

"No, my lad-... miss. You are misunderstanding..."Ezra stammered on his words.

Neither was he in a position to reveal the truth nor was he able to comprehend the situation. The only option left was to defend himself.

"Who are you?"

"I'm... I'm... I'm a member of the Orion Merchants Miss. You know this. We have been on the jour-..."

"You don't have the liberty to lie"

Ann interrupted him before he could complete his obvious lie. From the way, Ezra was talking in circles while taking glances at her facial expressions, it was evident that he was stalling. 

"My patience is limited Ezra or whatever your real name is... So I'm only gonna ask once"

"Who. Are. You?" Angelica asked looking him in the eye,

"Why are you trying to kill me?"

"My lady, you are mistaken. We are on your side. I don't know who that is" Ezra denied.