Let the Good Times Roll

Start from the beginning

As my sister started the car, John Denver played through the speakers. "Told you he was a family favorite" I said to Josh who was not paying attention because he was too busy playing with Leah and Bowen. 

Before long we pulled into my parents long driveway. I got out of the car and went to the back to help unbunkle Bowen. I helped Bowen out of the car before taking Frank from Josh's arms. "Woah nice house" Josh said getting out. 

"It's pretentious but... yes it's a nice" I say looking at the house I grew up in. It was a big house, my parents had designed it from the ground up and it had a log cabin feel to it but like I said it was big. We walked up to the french doors and I pushed it open. I took Josh's hand before walking inside with our bags. 

As I walked past the foyer, I put Frankie down and made my way through the living room and into the kitchen. I knew that this is where I would find my mother most likely with a glass of wine in hand. I was correct. She put down her glass and ran over to hug me, I did not hug her back. Once again, not to be rude but my brain just didn't tell me to do it. She pulled out of the hug but kept her hands on my arms while she smiled. 

"It is nice to meet you" Josh said taking a step towards us. My mother had not even noticed he was there until now, her face looking shocked before returning to her smile. 

"Oh Jeana, this is Josh, my partner" I said pulling him close. I saw my mother's face twist as I used her first name. 

"It is wonderful to meet you" she said shaking his hand. Just then the two kids came running into the room. 

"Grandma" they yelled as they hugged her. She picked up Bowen and put him on her hip. 

"Hey mom" Megan said as she carried in the kids bags. "Hey guys it is late so why don't we get our PJs on in our room." My mom handed Bowen to Megan so she could get them ready for bed. 

"You have your old room" my mom said turning to me, "you can settle in."

I give her a small smile with a simple "Ok" before turning around a showing Josh down the stairs. "My room is in the basement, in high school I thought it made me edgy."

We ascended the staircase until we stood in the downstairs area. "This place is like its own little apartment" Josh said as he followed me.

"Yeah it was nice to have my own get away especially in high school. My parents haven't changed it at all by the looks of it." I looked around at how everything was the way it was the last time I was here. The small area with the couches still had shelves full of my books and movies and the area behind it had my sewing machine and dress forms displayed nicely. The only thing that was different was an added toy box filled with stuff for Leah and Bowen. "The bathroom is that door on the other side of the kitchenette and my room is right next to it" I said walking over to the door that still had my name painted on it."If you want a drink, feel free to make yourself one from anything in the bar next to the sink. The fridge probably has cold beer in it. My parents won't notice if anything is missing, they never did."

"You really had free range of this place when you were a teen" Josh asked as he followed me to my bedroom door. 

"Yup, both of my sisters were out of the house and my parents relationship was so rocky that I just hung down here with my friends if I was not at school." It was fun to think about how cool it was but at the same time I would have traded it all for a more functional family. 

I turned the door nob to my room and opened the door. Stepping in was like stepping back in time. I looked at all my posters that I had hung up years ago and picked up some of my trophies. I went over and sat down on my bed and Josh joined me. "Cute room" he said as his hand found itself on its usual spot on my thigh.