Chapter 23: Mystery

--------Bruce Pov:-------

I stood stunned.

How did this girl, who came from nowhere, know who I was?

I walked out of the room, a new determination forming.

I walked past the stunned and sad members of the young justice team. I walked over to the computer and started doing research on the girl. I needed to know everything about her. I knew she first showed up a couple weeks ago but not much else.

As I looked her up, it became more confusing. It was like she popped up out of thin air, no trace of practice rounds, no nothing, she just arrived and got to work.

I knew I had to find her and question her. She could be real trouble to this group and I wouldn't allow her to hurt anyone.

-------Time skip-------

It had been a couple days since the girl had come out and I'd assumed I'd just scared her off. That was until I saw her running across the rooftops. Her movements were agile and graceful, and I must admit she was fast. She was making record speeds as she jumped from building to building.

I took my running start and ran after her. It took a while but eventually she stopped, jumping into an alley.

I looked over the edge to see her making quick work of two men, one had a gun the other was already on the floor. It was impressive to watch. After a minute both men were on the ground and the woman Riptide had helped was up and on her way.

What I didn't expect was for Riptide to look directly at me. She disappeared immediately. I looked around trying to see if she teleported around here when I heard right next to my ear.

"I didn't know you'd come crawling back so soon Batsy" 

I tried to turn and hit her but she caught my hand. I grunted and tried hitting her with my other hand, to which she caught that as well, she then let go and grabbed my forearm. She braced herself and pulled me over her, for a minute it felt like I was flying till I felt a strong force pull my back towards the ground and fast. I hit the ground with a painful crash.

"Don't (excuse my language) fuck with me Bruce, I'm not playing this game tonight." She held a sword out. "And I'm not afraid to leave a couple cuts for your children to see." Her voice was stern and left no room for kidding. I knew she was telling the truth.

I stood there and glared at her. She put away the knife. "What do you want? You wanna waste more of my time?" Her words sounded malicious though her face stayed neutral.The spots where her eyes were, were glowing slightly.

"How'd you find out who I was?" I asked, I needed to know what position she was in to have recognized me.

"You aren't sneaky, you have the same mannerisms, you had to be rich, I mean look at those man!" She pointed to my tool belt. "Doesn't exactly take a genius to figure it out." She crossed her arms. "Now cut the crap, you want info on me. Hate to break it to you but you aren't gonna get it, unlike you I can keep a Gods damn secret." She turns to walk off.

A loud shot rings out and I see the ground near me spark. A bullet. I turned to run away, it wasn't safe to be out in the open. Suddenly I felt arms crash into my side. I fell to the side as another shot rings out and Riptide falls to the ground with a small yelp.

"That was too close!" She puts a hand on her ear, presumably it had flown by which had spooked her.

"You" She turned to me "Stop following me, only call me if you need to. Otherwise don't come after me, don't talk to me. I don't want to associate with you anymore than I do in my daily life." With that she teleports and the shooting stops.

She said more then on a daily basis. So she knows me personally? I had to find out who this girl was.

-----------------------Time skip---------------------------

The next morning I woke up with a bruise on my back, it was massive and very painful. I had to drink water, I know that.

I walked downstairs, it was around 3 am. I couldn't sleep much, the thoughts on who that girl could be was keeping me up. 

I walked into the kitchen to see Percy helping Tim to stand up. When she spotted me she gave me a small smile. "Hey Bruce, don't mind me." She carried Tim out, the weirdest part was that he was actually letting it happen like this was a normal occurrence.

I shook my head and thought back to the girl. She seemed to be young but there was no way of knowing if that was true. We had no idea what kind of powers she could of hidden, I mean of course we tested out her abilities but who's to say she didn't withhold some. 

I let these thoughts carry me as I got myself a ice pack and some water. 

I was brought back to reality when Percy came back.

"Percy, what are you doing up so late?" I asked, she just looked back with an innocent expression. 

"Oh, I'm not to tired so I thought I should just go and get some water, but then I saw Tim and well, yeah." I smiled, she was a good kid.

I handed her a glass with some water in it.

"...So, what's that ice pack for?" I had almost forgotten about the ice pack.

"Oh, I just hit my side on a table at work today, it left a bruise so I was just gonna ice it for a bit." 

Something about her seemed to become more tense and I couldn't tell if it was because she was concerned or if it was because she didn't believe me.

"Are you okay?" She sounded worried so I assumed she was tense because of it.

I smiled a bit and nodded. "It's nothing a little ice can't help with" 

She nodded and gulped down the rest of her water. "Alright, well goodnight Bruce" She waved as she disappeared into the dark. 

I was glad she seemed happy here. She had done a lot to help out the boys. I don't think I've seen them happier, I guess I'm not complaining. 

I spent the rest of the next 30 minutes just icing my back and drinking water in the silence of the kitchen, the only light came from the faint moonlight coming through the windows. 

I walked back up the stairs, the ice pack still in hand. My thoughts going back to the mystery that was Riptide.

I would find out who she was if it was the last thing I did.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1151 words