Chapter 1

* Five Years Later *

You've been living at the Avengers Compound since that fateful day in New York.

It became apparent very quickly that your wound was not just a nasty cut. When you slipped into unconsciousness, the medic team had placed you in a coma to heal. On awakening, fear had consumed you. Fear of the unknown white sterile room. Fear of not talking to your parents. Fear of everything that had happened in New York...

So when Doctor Cho had told you that it was a miracle that you survived with so much kinetic energy running through your body... your emotional wellbeing had snapped...

The first time you had lost control, a pulse of energy had radiated out of you like a shockwave. Glowing bright red, it had destroyed the entire west wall of the hospital wing. You were destructive, chaotic, unpredictable and dangerous and for a while you hated yourself for it. The perfect criteria for an Avenger, right?

At first, they left you alone, leaving you to heal. Your anxiety spiralled, you believed they hated you, resented you for intruding on their close-knit team and destroying their home. You felt isolated and alone, guilty and paranoid. At night you would create scenes in your head; the team upstairs, creating plans to get rid of you, making jokes about you, trying to make your life hell until they made you walk away.

You couldn't have been more wrong.

The team immediately took you in as one of their own, as family. They all visited you in the confined hospital wing until you were calm enough to control your power. Bruce had helped a lot with therapy, self control, breathing exercises and emotional stability.

Clint and Nat helped track down your family and explain the situation to them, sitting them down and helping them understand. They had even found your belongings in the boardroom and your old apartment and brought them back to you... you hoped they hadn't found that gross mug.

Steve and Tony helped integrate you into the team, coaching you on interviews and helping you with press conferences from your bedside announcing you as a new member of the Avengers. They made you feel welcome, useful and wanted. It wasn't long before you felt like a genuine member of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. It finally felt like you had found something you were truly meant to do.

Thor was the biggest surprise. The first time you had met him, you had been fearful. He was, after all, Loki's brother, not to mention a literal God and Prince. You felt tense that day as he'd sauntered into the room, a huge grin on his face

"I apologise for the actions of my brother, little one, he's adopted... and a menace... and an asshole."

A giggle had bubbled in your throat. It had been the first time you had laughed since the events in New York.

He would come into the room purely to ease the boredom. He became like a big cuddly brother to you, playing games, watching movies and sharing music and books with you. He often got in trouble for sneaking in snacks... too much sugar did not help with your power control... but Thor enjoyed seeing your face light up when he would sneakily hide a box of pop tarts under your pillow.

You were designated by Nick Fury as an "Elemental Sorceress". The Tesseract, when slicing your skin, had made you a vessel for the elements around it, and thus the fire, rain and chaos from that day in New York were now a part of you. Now healed, the cube had left an ugly, jagged red scar across your left shoulder. Goodbye tank tops.