Chapter 23: experiments

Things have been unusually calm since you and Hunter returned from the Knee.

Belos hasn't ordered any more missions. He's been too busy to request anything.

Things have changed a bit since you and Hunter got together. He's more awkward around you than before but is also a lot more talkative.

There's definitely one thing that hasn't changed though.

"Y/n!" Hunter yells, bursting into your room.

You flinch and almost fall off your bed.

"What does it take to have a little privacy?" You groan, rolling your eyes.

You rest your head in your hands and smile. "What's up, cutie?" You ask.

"Okay so I asked Belos what- cutie?" He pauses mid sentence, blinking at you for a moment.

"What, can a witch not call her boyfriend cute~?" You smirk.

"Nono- you're fine! It's- you're cute too- but uh, back on track, Belos told me that Flapjacks are synonymous to pancakes! But uh.. I'm not sure what a pancake is either.." Hunter explains.

"I think Luz told me about those! It's a human food!" You say.

Hunter nods. "Yes, yes, that- no that doesn't make any more sense as to why the bird would be named that." Hunter sighs.

"Anyways, I need your help with a little... experiment! It's obvious that bird is hiding something from me! And we're going to find out what it is!" He says.

You raise an eyebrow. "Hunter, man, I love you but I think you're going a little far here. I doubt the little guy has any malicious intent." You reassure him.

"That's just what he wants you to think! With the scar on his eye and the notches on his staff, it's obvious he belonged to someone before me! But every time I try to question it, he just pulls my hair. It's... it's definitely a touchy subject.. aND- PROOF THAT THIS- VILE CREATURE IS STILL HIDING SOMETHING FROM ME! HIS TRUE WILD NATURE? HIS EVIL INTENTIONS?" He yells.

He pauses and clears his throat.

"Come with me." He instructs.

You follow him down the hall towards his room.

Before you enter, Hunter quickly walks to a closet and hands you a full suit of armor.

You blink at him a few times.

"Hunter, it's a bird." You state.

"We don't know what he's capable of! Now put it on!" He says, putting on a matching suit of armor himself.

You both slowly enter the room, the small cardinal palismen happily flying around.

"Here's the plan. Normally, he gets a handful of crabapple claws in the morning. But today, I have a single goreberry. An edible, but disgusting fruit, often disliked by palismen." Hunter explains, holding up the goreberry so you can see it.

"Routine broken! Expectations dashed! How will he react? I hypothesize, he will become enraged at his hunger and disappointment! He will show his true wild colors! Dash around my room! Peck at me! That's why we're currently in full armor! And now, we begin." Hunter rolls the goreberry into the middle of the room, both of you watching Flapjack.

The palismen suddenly spots it and flies down to the ground, looking at it.

"He spotted it!" Hunter whispers.