Chapter 8: Choices

You pace the halls of the castle anxiously.

It's darker than usual.

Quieter than usual..

It's been 3 hours since the fight between the two Clawthorne sisters. The whole thing seems to have offset practically the whole castle.

After Belos talked to you and Hunter, the two of you had turned in for the night but you couldn't sleep.

Everything was just so overwhelming and far too exciting for you to rest.

"Y/n." You flinch at the sudden voice behind you, turning only to see Hunter.

You ease almost instantly.

"Hey." You greet him, leaning against a wall.

He walks over to you and leans beside you.

"Figured you'd still be awake." He chuckles quietly.

"Everything is just so... weird right now. Yesterday started off so calm and then- I'm not sure what to think." You sigh

Hunter looks down. "I get it. The emperor's coven isn't always the most... calm... is it?" He shakes his head and crosses his arms.

"Tomorrow Belos plans to hold the owl lady's petrification. If that's too much for you to handle feel free to take the day off. Stress obviously isn't good for your curse." He says.

You smile faintly and rub your eyes, holding back a yawn.

"You should get rest." He adds, noticing how tired you look.

"Mm only if you do." You smirk.

Hunter rolls his eyes and smiles. "I'll see you tomorrow morning before the petrification to check in, alright?" He asks.

You nod and the two of you part ways.

The next morning you wake up and look at yourself in the mirror.

If you know anything about Luz, she's going to try and save eda. Sure you've only met the human around 3 or so times but that's enough to know what she's like.

You sigh and put on your uniform. You don't want anything bad to happen to the owl lady. It's a horrible idea but maybe you can help from the inside.

As you finish putting on your cloak you hear a knock at the door.

You open it and see Hunter, already wearing his uniform.

"Oh- Y/n. Are you helping today?" He asks.

You sigh. "I think so."

He nods and you fill up a vile of elixir and drink a bottle before putting on your silver mask and walking with Hunter.

"I need to go to Belos. Find some scouts and follow them, alright?" He asks.

You nod and he runs off.

Time to do anything but what he said and find the owl lady.

As you run through the halls you eventually turn a corner and come face to face with Lilith.

"You. Shouldn't you be at the ceremony?" She asks.

You clear your throat. "The golden guard requested me to watch the owl lady." You mumble.

"You're lying." She flatly states.

You awkwardly chuckle and attempt to run away but you're caught in a beam of light as she drags you over to her.

"Not so fast. You're coming with me."

She drags you down the halls and you eventually come across a door being guarded by a small demon.