Chapter 8

Surprisingly, it was not Kaori. It came from 3 tables to the left of Kaori's table. A girl with bright green and blue hair wearing a black choker with chains, multiple black chain bracelets, and black nail polish sits there holding her stomach as she laughs loudly. She also has multiple nose and lip piercings and is wearing knee-high black boots with her uniform which is worn messily. She basically looks like the classic teen gothic rebel.

Mary-Anne's face turns red in anger. "Scilla, what do you mean by this? You better mind your own business", she says icily.

Scilla waves her other hand, that isn't holding her stomach, at Mary-Anne dismissively. It seems like she's trying to catch her breath but to no avail. She bends over with her hands on her stomach as tears dot her eyes.

"I-I'm sorry. I- I just- just can't believe that... that this is actually happening" She stammers while she tries to control her laughter.

The group of girls' faces turn dark. However, surprisingly they didn't retort.

The girl in the lead snorted and turned back to Kaori.

"You better keep in mind what I said" she says coldly. Then she turns and struts away with the rest of the girls following behind her; each giving Kaori a warning look before leaving.

Kaori shifts her eyes away from the comedic act and looks towards Scilla with amusement in her eyes.

Scilla suddenly looks up at Kaori. She seems to have finally controlled her laughter. Kaori immediately conceals the amusement in her eyes.

Scilla wipes her tears and nods towards Kaori with a playful smirk on her lips. Then she continues eating and playing with her phone, minding her own business, like nothing happened.

'She's an interesting one...' Kaori thinks to herself. She squints at Scilla like she's trying to figure something out.

'Did she see through my act?....Whatever'

Something about Scilla's smirk and nod raises Kaori's suspicion. Kaori shrugs it off and continues eating.

...

After lunch, Kaori makes her way back to her class while pondering her next move.

'In this place, my disguise seems to have the opposite effect of what I want it to...'

'The whole point is to go through school leisurely without anyone bothering me. Getting low scores incites bullying. Getting average scores is not enough because of Kaiser, these students are all crazy that they will keep pestering me until I meet the standard they are satisfied with. What exactly is that standard even??'

'Argh this is defeating the whole purpose of laying low. All this is too bothersome. Imma do whatever I want!!'

With that, Kaori walks into the class. Immediately, she is buried in many condescending stares.

Kaori rolls her eyes, not bothering to hide it this time.

She has decided to finally be herself. Of course, without revealing too much that scientists would want to open her brain up.

Kaori walks to her desk and assumes her previous position: propping a book up and sleeping with her head on her desk.

'Seems like I'm not much different from my disguise. Haha.'

This time, Kaori is not paying attention in class not to appear lazy and mediocre, but because she knows more than even the teacher.

"Apparently, Mary-Anne gave her a warning during lunch but looks like she didn't take it seriously"