Bonus: Wedding Night (Part 2)

"Are you trembling?"

Snow could hear the grin in Erden's voice. She exhaled, feeling her heart beating faster and faster. I probably am trembling. 

"Let me help you take off your veil," he said, his robes rustling as he moved closer to her.

The veil was lifted from her head. She slowly raised her eyes to his face, taking in his chiseled features, his parting lips and his warm brown eyes gazing at her with a mix of astonishment, happiness and adoration. She saw his chest rise as he broke into a brilliant, dimpled smile.

Oh. My. Goddess!  Her heart performed somersaults in her chest.

"My beautiful bride." 

"My handsome groom," she replied, beaming, and he looked down shyly.

"Really, you look good. Red is your color." She admired the silver and gold dragons embroidered on his robes, and the braids along the sides of his head that were fastened at the back with gold cuffs.

"It's yours too," he said, his gaze moving along the characters for double happiness at her collar, then to her eyes before alighting on her crimson lips. His Adam's apple bob as he swallowed. "I was so excited last night that I could not sleep a wink."

Snow pressed her lips together to stop herself from laughing. She had never seen him this embarrassed before. "Me too, I hardly got any sleep last night. Oh, I'm so nervous!" She put her hands to her cheeks.

"Uh, why don't we have some wine?" He turned to take two small wine cups from the side table.

"Good idea." She took the wine cup offered to her, and with a giggle, crossed her arm holding the cup with his. Erden looked amused by the wedding custom of linking arms to drink wine, but gamely went along with it.

 Erden looked amused by the wedding custom of linking arms to drink wine, but gamely went along with it

"To us," he said, and they both tilted the wine from their cups into their mouths. Snow swallowed the wine gratefully, wishing that they had been given bigger cups.

He turned to place their cups back on the side table, and she looked around his princely bedchambers decorated all in red.

The lanterns were red, the table cloths were red, the curtains were red; even the bedspread she was sitting on was a gorgeous, satiny shade of red. Vermilion paper cutouts of the characters for double happiness were pasted everywhere and on everything, including the lanterns and the wine pot.

If this is supposed to make me feel amorous and excited for what comes later, it's not working.

Oh, this is so weird! She twisted the fabric of her dress between her fingers. I want to be with him, I want to touch him, but I'm so scared all at the same time! Can we just not do the deed tonight?

Her thoughts were interrupted when Erden said, "Let me help you with your crown. It must be heavy." She bent her head so that he could lift it off her head and carefully place it on the table.