1: A Dreamlike Chamber

Last Winter

"Your Highness, the palanquin is ready."

Snow glanced up at her attendant's reflection in her looking glass. "I'm not going, Lotus. It's too cold outside." She gripped the side of her mahogany vanity table.

"Please, Your Highness! The Empress will punish us if you don't go to see Her Majesty." The older girl's brows furrowed upwards, like the written character for 'bā', the number eight.

Sighing, Snow wished she could shrink to the size of a bed bug and never have to face the Empress. If I go, I'll be punished. If I don't go, everyone else gets punished. She scrunched up her nose, then held an arm out for Lotus to help her stand. Her high, horse-hoof platform shoes felt like weights on her feet.

Lotus led her to the courtyard where four men waited stony-faced beside the palanquin. Only a few minutes had passed, but their conical hats and shoulders were already dusted in white. Snow felt a pang of guilt – because of her, they all had to freeze in the bitter cold, more so her attendant who had to walk the whole way to the Empress's residence.

The men hoisted the palanquin with their princess onto their shoulders and marched along the empty walkways with Lotus trotting beside them. Inside the swaying litter, Snow twisted the fabric of her silk robes between her fingers and tried to fight off her nervousness.

She wished she had eaten that steamed sweet meat bun – or at least some red bean soup – before she left that morning. Her brain usually did not function so early, especially not before breakfast. She still hadn't decided whether she should look contrite or not. For now, though, she would pretend all was well.

"Princess Snow is here to see the Empress!" a male voice announced.

Her palanquin came to an abrupt standstill and sank to the floor. She pushed aside the thick curtain. Blinking hard against the wind, she peered up at the red and azure blue plaque above the entrance.

Gate of Heavenly Purity? More like the Gate of Hellish Punishment.

"Y-your Highness, this is as far as the p-palanquin can go. We have to walk the rest of the way," Lotus said, her breath forming clouds in the air. When Snow took her hand, it was like holding an icicle.

The Empress's guards flanking the doorway stood as straight as their spears despite the harsh elements. In the bleak weather, the barren courtyard with its bare trees seemed as wide as an arctic desert. Snow had only taken a few steps when the wind suddenly picked up and nipped at her ears and cheeks.

Goddess have mercy on me! She had her fur-collared winter cloak to protect her from the neck down, but nothing to protect her head. The irony did not escape her: though she was named after snow, she absolutely could not stand the cold.

How  no, why did I get myself in this situation? I could have stayed snug and warm in my bed, but I just had to be pulled out here! She kicked the ground in frustration and nearly lost balance.

After what seemed like an eternity of being buffeted by the biting winds, the two girls reached the Empress's receiving chambers. "Princess, we have arrived," Lotus said through chattering teeth.

Snow nodded, sniffling and shivering, unable to speak. She really did not want to enter despite the promise of warmth from the coal braziers inside. The red and gold studded doors were pushed open and a senior eunuch – the Empress's chief eunuch, judging by the color of his robes and imperious expression – greeted her. "Her Majesty is expecting you."

Snow gulped. It was too late to turn around. She stepped over the threshold, feeling like she was walking into a tiger's mouth. The doors closed behind her, sealing her fate.