Bonus: Wedding Night (Part 1)

*As a thank you to my readers for making it this far, I've written this short story about Snow and Erden's wedding! The first half is a bit more serious as it goes into Snow's state of mind. The second half is the wedding day itself, leading up to the wedding night. I hope you'll find it funny and sweet. Enjoy!*

"Mother, I am finally getting married," Snow said, as she knelt before her mother's ancestral tablet at the imperial temple. Through the wisps of white smoke from the joss sticks she held in front of her face, she stared at the gold characters etched in the black stone tablet.

I wish you could see me get married, she thought, hoping that her mother could hear her. Before this, she hardly felt anything when visiting her mother's tablet; but this time, she felt a sense of loss for the mother she had never known. If only her mother could be here now to guide her through this stage of her life, as she transitions from maidenhood to being someone's wife.

I will start a new life together with someone I already know and love. A girl couldn't ask for better, can she? In a few days' time, I'll come back in my red wedding dress, and I'll introduce my husband to you. I hope you'll like him. He's very handsome and sweet, she added, before bowing deeply.

Along the way back to her quarters, Snow could not help but think of Erden. She missed his bright smile, his velvety voice, and the way he holds her hand whenever he gazes into her eyes. I'll be reunited with you soon, she thought, a smile forming on her lips.

That night, whilst her attendants dressed her for bed, Peony said, "I'm so excited for you, Your Highness! You're getting married!"

In the reflection of her looking glass, Snow caught a hint of envy mixed with the happiness on her attendant's girlish face, and she turned to grasped Peony by the hand. "Thank you, Peony. I'm sure when you can leave the Palace, you'll be able to find a good husband too." Peony gave her a small smile.

"Princess, I know this is early, but I'd like to wish in advance that you'll have a happy and harmonious marriage, and that you would be blessed with many children," Lotus said.

"Thank you, Lotus, for your well wishes."

Children. She had been so preoccupied with the wedding preparations like her dress, her veil and shoes, and the wedding bedchamber decorations that she hadn't had time to find out what was to happen on her wedding night. She had obviously wondered what was expected of her, but who could she ask?

After she climbed into bed and pulled the covers over her legs, her eyes moved between Lotus, who was already twenty years old, and Peony, who was just shy of sixteen. She hesitated at first, but she figured if she wanted to get some answers on this topic, she'd have to open her mouth and ask.

"Ah, Lotus, that reminds me, I don't think anybody has explained to me what happens in the bedchamber on my wedding night."

"Oh! Your Highnesses will sit side by side on the bed, he'll take off your wedding veil, and then we'll serve the wine, then we'll tie a knot between the two of you signifying–"

"I mean," Snow gulped. "What happens after all that."

"Oh. Your Highness doesn't know?" Lotus asked with wide eyes.

"I don't know anything. Tell me."

Lotus and Peony looked at each other, both starting to appear uncomfortable. Lotus, being the oldest amongst the three of them, tried to explain what she knew. "Uh, the wedding couple are supposed to consummate their marriage, and we need to check that there's blood on the bedsheets the next morning."

"Blood? Whose blood?"

Lotus blinked rapidly, her cheeks turning bright red. "Yours, Y-your Highness," she stammered.