16: The Ruby Red Jewel

Snow searched the old woman's eyes for any hint of deceit but found none. The old woman in turn, studied the expression on Snow's face, before letting out a snort of laughter. "You're so gullible, my dear child. You shouldn't believe everything that you hear. I was just pulling your leg."

"Oh," Snow said, feeling her cheeks flush hot. The old grandmother had sounded so convincing.

"Silly girl, there's no way a fox demon could end up ruling the Kingdom. Imagine what the people would do if they found out, they'd revolt. Anyway, I must go soon, if I want to make haste to the border," the woman said, moving to get up from the table.

"Grandma, why don't you stay the night? It's getting dark and it's cold on the mountain. I can explain to my brothers when they get back."

The old woman held up a bony hand speckled with age spots. "I don't want to trouble or impose on you. You have been so generous with me already, please don't insist," she said with an embarrassed smile.

"Alright."

"It's been nice chatting with you, my sweet girl. Orh! I want you to have something. Here, as a token of my appreciation."

From her basket, the old woman lifted out a gleaming, red apple and held it out to Snow.

It had been ages since Snow last had an apple, and the one before her was so sun-sweet and juicy red, her mouth watered simply staring at it. She should refuse – she couldn't deprive an old traveler of her food – but somehow the food beckoned to her.

"Take it, girl. It's from my own tree."

"N-no, Grandma, I can't–"

"Take it!" the old woman said more forcefully. "I may not have much, but I want you to have it. It is a gift; it would be impolite not to receive it."

Snow hesitated, but deep down she was glad the old woman insisted. The apple was far too tempting to resist. She bowed her thanks and received the apple in both hands.

It was smooth in her palms, its spotless skin glowing in the firelight; like a priceless jewel from another kingdom. Color seemed to seep off the apple and brought the cottage to life – the walls brightened into polished chestnut, the cooking pot gleamed like it was made of obsidian, even the woman looked less like a ragged beggar and more like a wandering sage.

Something's not right! A little voice warned in the back of her mind, but all Snow could think of was the fruit in her hands and its crisp flesh.

"Go on then, you can eat it now."

It would be bad manners to eat a gift in front of the giver, but Snow had not eaten anything since early morning. Besides, the woman encouraged it herself. Snow bit into the apple heartily.

Honeyed sweetness filled her mouth and she closed her eyes to better savor it. All her doubts, her misery, and her angry thoughts of the afternoon evaporated. The only thing that mattered now was this wondrous, delicious fruit that reminded her of happier times.

Until she opened her eyes. The old woman was watching her intently. Suddenly the cottage wasn't so cheery and vibrant anymore. The wood was as dull brown as always, the bunches of dried herbs were still covered in dust, their kitchen coated with coal marks and grime.

The woman before her too, seemed to lengthen before her eyes. Her back was no longer bent, and her sunken cheeks seemed to have filled out. Before, she had appeared older than even Eldest Brother, with the harsh wrinkles cracking her face like dried earth, but now she seemed decades younger. Her once cloudy irises shone bright and hungry, like a wolf's.