Chapter 38

I'm leaving Sarada and Chocho's bestie moment from the latest Boruto episode (222) here.

*************************************

I received a text message the night of Christmas day. It's from the school administration office. The message says, "To all graduating students, you are expected to return tomorrow for a very important announcement. Attendance is a must,"

It is supposed to be our long break until New Year's Day yet this news came. I wonder what's going on.

I walk downstairs to inform mom about the news from our school. We have agreed to visit dad tomorrow but I think it's postponed.

"Is that so?" she utters in a low voice after I told her about to text message I received.

"Yeah," I nod and I can see how mom's face glooms and she smiles bitterly.

"Well, I think it can't be helped," she says while smiling.

"We can visit him the next day though," I tell her and she shakes her head.

"I need to go back to work the day after tomorrow," she says and I feel bad about it. She and I badly want to visit dad together. We haven't done it for a while now because of our differing schedules.

"But it's okay. It's important, right? So you have to come. We will visit dad in our spare time. I know he will understand the situation," she smiles at me and gets back to washing the plates.

"Yeah," I sigh. She pauses from her work and turns her head to look at me.

"You must go to bed now, honey. Today was a big day and I know you're already tired. Leave the rest to me," she waves like telling me to go upstairs.

"Are you sure? Don't you need my help anymore?" I ask worrying maybe she still needs me. She shakes her head and I nod. I stand up from the chair and walk to my room.

"Do you have any idea why we were called in the middle of our break?" Chocho asked me when we get to the classroom and I shrug as a response to her.

"It's strange, you know?" I say and she nods. Only graduating students were called for the important announcement.

"Maybe they will announce our early graduation," she giggles and I sigh while shaking my head. She sounds very excited to go to University.

The room is slowly filled with people greeting everyone Merry Christmas. Boruto enters the room and wears his usually smiling face. I wonder if he and Sumire are okay now.

He heads straight to his seat and before he fully sits down on his chair he stares at me and greets me Merry Christmas. I did not see it coming and my response is somewhat stuttering. He smiles and occupies his seat.

"What does it mean?" Chocho pokes my cheek and I look at her.

"I don't know," I answer and she raises one brow.