Epilogue

𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓷 𝓫𝓮 ethereal. I want to believe it can. But human love is volatile, unstable.

The woman lifts her brush for a second, and the ink creates black droplets on the parchment as she glances at the unconscious man before her. After a while of staring, she returns her focus to her journal.

When I met him, we were both driven by the same desire to attain peace; that's how we fell in love. And just like Tenji once proclaimed he loved his wife, he made me believe what we had was forever. But human love is volatile, unstable. And we might have once wanted the same thing, but we never shared the same vision.

The cry of an infant distracts the woman. She brings the pink blanket up to the round, tiny chin, then brushes the warm cheek, shushing. Silence returns as the infant closes her sleepy eyes.

Hagoromo and Hamura are like their father: men driven by the desire to possess everything. I did not mean for them to get my chakra; they stole it from me, just like Tenji tried to steal my life. They're too young to understand what it means to yield such power. But I know that one day, they'll turn against me.

How do I know it?

Because human love is volatile, unstable.

But it can also be ethereal. I want to believe it can.

Harumi's father may be the one, after all. Even if he knows me as the Rabbit Goddess, he doesn't fear my power, can see past my rough edges, always seems to understand my pain, accept my flaws, and forgive my wrongs. I'm the moon to his sun, the night to his day, and instead of running away, he keeps sneaking closer, attracted to my darkness.

He's a good man with a pretty wife and well-mannered children. And they all live in that tiny house with just enough food not to starve. And he's happy, I can tell.

So why come to me? Why risk everything for the Rabbit Goddess?

Because he's not like the others. He's special. But it's not chakra; it's something else. In his little town, they call him The Shaman. He can converse with the dead, or so I've heard. I don't know if it's true or if he's mentally unstable, but I don't care. If that's why he's drawn to my darkness, then so be it.

Because I want to bathe in his light for the rest of my life. And I want Harumi to be nothing like her brothers and to grow up in this tiny house, far away from war, chakra, and treason.

But it won't happen. Not today. Never.

The woman stops to glance at her little girl, at the tiny fists closing around the wool blanket. She glimpses her thin, silver hair and shakes her head.

It will never happen because a goddess will never settle for a shaman without money, power, or drive.

And maybe the problem in the woman's life isn't human love. Maybe human love can be ethereal. But Kaguya's love is volatile, unstable, and perhaps even futile. And not even the kind Haruno Kazuo can change that.