Chapter II

𝓦𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭 uncomfortably settled on the earth and her sleeping bag up to her chin, Hana watches embers ascend into the sky, until they disappear, becoming undone

𝓦𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭 uncomfortably settled on the earth and her sleeping bag up to her chin, Hana watches embers ascend into the sky, until they disappear, becoming undone. It reminds her of her past, her mother, and the innocent girl to whom belongs Hana's new body.

So many things have happened in so little time that she can picture smoke coming from her ears. The gears in her head will soon fail under the amount of information and built-up emotions.

For the past five days, Hana's been filling someone else's shoes in a life she didn't choose, in a world far away from what she's known, where people see chakra as evil. It's against the law to use it, against the Rabbit Goddess' wishes.

It would seem Hana's people, the Kodomo, also known as Kaguya's Children, have been living under a rock for hundreds of years, and at that thought, her pulse quickens.

If someone had taught her how to use chakra, maybe nothing of this would have happened. She might have been able to stop her mother and still have her body today.

Nezumi Hana, Musume Hima's child, had never really known what being part of the Musume clan, the Kaguya's daughters, entailed. Not before it was too late, anyway.

Her first clue should have been when she found that old-looking book in her mother's office. But she was only eight years old, and the grief of her father's mysterious death was taking up too much space in her head to be rational. She needed a picture, a letter, anything that once belonged to him.

She remembers the weight of the book in her tiny hands, the leather cover with its enigmatic title, Kaguya's daughters, and the gruesome pictures of crying girls chained to the ground and beautiful women holding each other's hands, bearing blood-curdling glares.

Again, if Hana had known chakra was a thing, she would have taken the recipe in that book more seriously.

"Eternity," she whispers in recollection, shivers creeping down her spine. "Something about this word renders every human crazy."

Now she knows her mother wasn't keeping that book for pleasure. Hima was planning something big. Kaguya had once stolen her only daughter's life, and the young mother coveted to do the same to Hana.

The girl now realizes it might be why her mother had always been so cold to her. She was keeping her distance, not wanting to get attached.