Chapter XIX

𝓘𝓽'𝓼 𝓹𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓻𝓪𝓲𝓷 like the sky is crying, and the earth is cold and damp, but Kakashi remains seated on the ground in front of a giant stone. And with his eyes glued to the names engraved in it, his mind wanders some place else, to another time when the man who's been the village's father for the longest time was still alive, the man who believed in him enough to give him purpose, find him his genin team.

What will happen now that he's gone? Who's strong enough to claim his title? And what about Konoha's unsteady foundations? Will the next Hokage be able to contain the damages, protect the innocents?

Kakashi's always been too lazy to get involved in politics. But thanks to his years of service as an Anbu, he knows a lot, maybe even too much. He cannot ignore the ordeal with the Uchiha clan or the part the council has played in it. He might not guess who they're considering as the next Hokage, but he knows damn well what they want for the village... Nothing good will come out of this, especially for Team Seven.

Kakashi runs his fingers through his damp hair and sighs.

Since the mission in Hinode and Wolf's treason, his uneasiness keeps growing. The seal on the woman's tongue can only mean one thing, but pieces of the puzzle are still missing.

Shimura Danzō is a ruthless man with strong opinions, yes. And Kakashi knows a lot about his Root. He's even been part of it at one point. But even if it wouldn't be surprising to learn that Danzō wanted Sarutobi killed, the silver-haired man has a hard time wrapping his mind around an alliance between the council member and Orochimaru. Danzō always uses the Leaf's sake to justify his every action. But what good can the snake-like Sannin do to Konoha? Would Danzō plan an attack on his own beloved village?

If it means keeping the villagers in line, then perhaps, yes. Kakashi's always despised that clan supremacy bullshit, but he knows many members of Konoha's force aren't sharing his view on the matter. Terrorizing the commoners by summoning giant snakes in the streets, then showing them who's stronger by sending clan members to their rescue. That's brilliant when you think about it. And also scary for the civilian shinobi's safety. The village is already sending them on the worst missions, to which they are barely coming out alive.

What will happen if Danzō becomes Hokage? If Kakashi's right, does it mean the man will get rid of the little civilian shinobi left?

Kakashi slams a hand on the hard stone and stares as the rain runs down the smooth surface and sneaks around his fingers. Behind them is carved one familiar name, and he traces the cursive letters, memories of a smiling girl with silky brown hair and purple paint all over her round cheeks invading his mind.