⁓The Maze⁓

A maze, he's in a maze.

All the meandering corridors confuse him, and his brain doesn't seem to function anymore. It's dark and cold and somewhat familiar. He knows these wooden floors and recognizes the pine scent.

Sasuke doesn't know why he keeps running, even after tripping over inert bodies and slipping in puddles of blood.

Why does his body look so small?

Where is he going?

Is this another nightmare?

He wipes his sweaty forehead as he rounds another corner, his chest heaving. It feels as if he's burning alive, and it's taking him everything not to tear his shirt apart.

A dark chuckle startles him, and he hastens his pace. The familiarity of the voice sends goosebumps to his burning skin.

He's not ready to face him; he's not strong enough.

There is only one thing to do: run until he finds the strength to win this fight and avenge his family.

With a determined frown, Sasuke processes the images in front of him. He realizes he somehow knows the way out and follows the trail of blood as it descends the corridors. He makes his way to the maze's centre and feels he's growing taller with each additional step.

But his already burning skin now consumes him, and he cannot take it any longer. He lets out a cry of pain and slows down, a hand clasping his neck.

There's no way he'll make it on time.

"Foolish little brother."

His head jerks at the sound of Itachi's voice, and Sasuke tries to step forward but collapses to his knees under the pain. His eyes close in defeat, for he knows he could never beat his brother. Not like this.

Instead of fighting, Sasuke settles on waiting for his life to end. And somewhere along the way, a tear rolls down his cheek, followed by another. Soon, he feels himself shrink to the size of a child, his body convulsing under the strength of his sobbing. He's a baby, he realizes, nothing more than a crybaby, and he will die alone.

A soft touch brushes his forehead, and he leans into it.

"Shhhh," a feminine voice whispers. "You'll be just fine."

A familiar scent of rose engulfs his nostrils when he sniffs away his tears, and his body relaxes. The hand clenching his neck retracts; it doesn't hurt much anymore.

"Don't worry, Sasuke-kun. I'm here, and I'll take care of you."

He snaps his eyes open upon recognizing Sakura's voice. Before his own eyes, his hands expand, the muscles in his arms swelling. His skin still feels warm, but now he can bear the pain. Thanks to Sakura, he can carry it to the end of the maze.

With one big inhale, Sasuke lurches forward again, now more determined than ever to find a way out.