1. LOSER LIKE ME ☑️

Start from the beginning

Sam darts his eyes at her unbelieving. It would be like him saying he'd moved on from Mercedes. He hadn't.

Kayla breaks. "Okay, so maybe I do. A little bit. But I can't let my feelings for her get in the way of our friendship. Her career is basically over. She's going through the wringer right now and she needs me."

Sam knows it's a losing battle. It always has been when it came to Rachel. "Don't ask me to comfort you when she breaks your heart again."

She watches him walk back up the steps to get ready for work, but more so to get away from her and she knows it's a waste of her time to try to convince him of anything. He knows her better than anyone. He knows she'll never get over Rachel Berry.

←⧪→

"Rach!" Kayla's voice called out as soon as her eyes landed on Rachel's decked out form. She had on a sweater, sunglasses, and a big hat and Kayla tried not to laugh at her but failed spectacularly.

"Please don't laugh at me." Rachel pouted.

Kayla chuckled sympathetically, wrapping her arms around the small woman. "I missed you."

"Me too. I missed you a lot." Rachel whispers, breathing in the fresh scent of Kayla's shampoo.

"C'mon. Blaine's waiting in the car. We're gonna take you out." she smiles warmly, entwining their fingers together the way they were so used to back in New York and for just a second she could forget they weren't together anymore.

By the time Rachel and her things were loaded into the car and Blaine was driving them to the Lima Bean, it was time for the catch up and God, it'd only been about six months since they went their separate ways, but it felt like a lifetime ago.

"So what are you doing now?" Rachel asks, fixing her hat back on top of her head as Blaine parks the car.

"Right now I'm coaching the Cheerios." she notices Rachel's funny expression and she laughs. "I know, it's weird. But it's kind of great experience for my degree. You know, working with performers every day and coming up with routines and stuff. I never pictured it for myself, but I've been having a really good time."

Just as they walk in the door, she turns away from Rachel to wave at Ollie. Rachel's eyeline darts from her ex-girlfriend all the way to her ex-girlfriend's ex-girlfriend and she freezes in place, leaning back into Blaine as Kayla approaches the counter.

"What's Ollie doing here?" she whispers harshly to her friend and she doesn't notice his amused smile.

"She's back home now, going to Lima U with Kayla. Why?" he smirks at her, but Rachel waves off his smile.

"It's nothing. I just... are they together again?" Rachel asks with all the security of a lowly esteemed little girl.

"No," Blaine answers. "But anything could happen, couldn't it?"

"Yeah. Anything could happen." Rachel repeats, though the words pass by like an afterthought because all she can think about is how much of Kayla's life she's missed since she went to Los Angeles.

←⧪→

Kayla is laying on her bed, watching Saturday Night Fever for the millionth time with Ollie. They're not dating, let that be known. They learned from their mistakes and after their make up during Kayla's senior year they were finally in a good place where they could be friends again. Sometimes it was weird because they used to be so in love with each other, but they were slowly learning how to be friends again. She liked that she had Ollie around. It didn't feel so much like hanging out with her ex-girlfriend anymore as it did reconnecting with an old friend because above all, they were always friends.