file 17- NWR number 14 "murdoch"

Name: Murdoch
Number: 14
Engine type: BR Standard Class 9F
Wheel arrangement:2-10-0
Fuel type: coal
Shed designation: tidmouth.
Primary job: heavy goods engine for the mainline.

The 9f Britain's strongest and last steam locomotive design. Number 92248 stared construction in 1957 at Swindon works. A large amount of the engine was completed but by 1958 construction was halted. The reason behind the stop in construction was that British railways had the men working on 92248 moved to start construction on the first generation of the British railway diesels.

In 1962 the NWR was looking for a heavy goods engine. Henry was struggling with the increasing work load and trains were only getting heavier. On a vist to Swindon in 1663 sir topham hat came across the half completed engine which was still, somehow, British railways property. Topham purchased the 9f from British railway and payed to have the engine finished at Swindon. No one knew that the following project would take 7 years.

In 1970 92248 was completed and sent to sodor. Originally 92248 though he was going to get the number 13 but was shocked to find a Q1 bearing that number when he arrived. murdoch was instead given the number 14, which he didn't complain about and was given his very strange orange colour. murdoch himself chose this colour even if it drew lots off unwanted attention to him.

Input from the real engine

Murdoch only wished to add one thing, that he named himself. From what he said it was his way of giving the middle finger to br.