file 11- NWR numbers 8 'Montague' or 'duck'

Name: montage or duck
Number: 8
Engine type: Great Western Railway 57xx
Wheel arrangement: 0-6-0
Fuel type: coal
Shed designation: formally tidmouth currently
Primary job: passenger engine on the Arlesburgh branch line.

Montage or 5741 would be built in 1929 to the design of Charles collett. He's a gwr class 57xx pannier tank engine built for light passenger and goods work.

Montague wouldn't find himself running these service though as instead he was allocated to London Paddington Station to act as a station pilot. During this time was when montage got the nickname Duck, which he soon became fond of and started using as his actually name.

In 1945, ten years before Duck left for sodor, the pannier would get a one in one million chance to meet a very certain man. In 1945, with the success of the 3 railway engines, the Reverend Wilbert awdry would visit London. Arriving at paddington, awdry met Duck when the pannier was getting ready to move the coaches, the two had a long and very interesting conversation about railway and Duck says the Reverend even said "I hope, one day Duck, I get to write about an engine like you."

After this meeting the Reverend would also use Paddington when arriving in London and he always had a conversation with the pannier. Eventually though, times changed, Duck left for sodor, thinking he wouldn't see his friend again.

Of course this was wrong, in 1956 the Reverend would travel to sodor After hearing they had purchased a pannier tank engine. Both engine and man were shocked to see each other once again. Duck though he would never see the Reverend again and as for awdry he was shocked that his old friend would know appear in his books as he had predicted 11 years ago. From there the rest is, great Western, history.

Input from the real engine.
Duck had two things to add to this file. One, he did, for a short amount of time, work on the London transport line which would later become known as the tube. Secondly, Duck says that for what the Reverend told him, he was the Reverend's favourite engine to write about.