file 5- NWR number 98462

First a disclaimer. You can skip this if wanted but I wished to explain this here. The files found did not only relate to the current NWR fleet but included most of its previous members as well. The stories of the following engines have been mainly lost to history some are known by simply there number whilst overs have a bit more background. The following 3 files look at these engine in more detail and shed some light on there stories.

Name: N/A
Number: 98462
Engine type: ger s69, lner b12
Wheel arrangement: 4-6-0
Fuel type: coal
Shed designation: formally vicarstown, final tidmouth
Primary job: express engine for the mainline but the moved on to handle passenger work

98462 is probably the engine that has the most miss conceptions about him. The s69 arrived on sodor in 1922 alongside 87546, Henry, whiff and Johnson. He, alongside his colleagues, were brought in to help run the newly established NWR as at the time of his arrival the railway was struggling with an engine shortage. 98462 being the most capable of all the new engines would be given the lucky chance to pull the first official wild nor Wester express train before it was given to Gordon the next year.

After being removed from express duty 98462 would work primarily as a fast passenger engine. He would also helm another of the NWR's newest trains being the sudrian. (The sudrian was a over night sleeper train from tidmouth to vicarstown.)

During another engine shortage in 1929, 98462 would reclaim the express for the two weeks of the shortage.

98462 would return to normal passenger work again until 1939. Gordon was away being overhauled at this time and so 98462, 87546 and Henry took it in turns to cover the wild nor Wester.

During the second world war, 98462 like all other engines across Britain came under government ownership. This wouldn't last long though as during a blitz attack on brendam 98462 was killed in an explosion. His remains were, after the attack, moved out of the dock and to the scrap yard on the brendam branch.

The only surviving piece of 98462, which is his number plate is now on display at the vicarstown railway museum in there sodor at war display.