file 6 and 7 - w&s numbers 1 and 3 'colin' and 'Adam'

Name: Colin
Number: 1
Engine type: peckett W4
Wheel arrangement: 0-4-0
Fuel type: coal
Shed designation: formally wellsworth, then Arlesburgh, final brendam
Primary job: passenger engine on the W&S and shunter under NWR ownership

Name: Adam
Number: 3
Engine type: LSWR 415 class
Wheel arrangement: 4-4-2
Fuel type: coal
Shed designation: formally wellsworth, then tidmouth, final peel godred
Primary job: passenger engine on W&S then heavy goods engine on the mainline until 1923 then goods engine for the peel godred branch line.

Adam and Colin are placed together in these files as both engines have shot but intertwined history's.

In 1889 the wellsworth and suddery railway would see the arrival of all 4 of its engines. With there arrivals being basically simultaneously, the w&s choose a different way to number its engines. The small engine would reserve the lowest number and this would work its way up to the higher numbers and bigger engines. So clear Colin was the smallest of the new arrivals, whilst Adam fell just short of top number. Both engines would man the passenger trains of the line whilst the others two engines dealt with goods.

In 1896 all 4 w&s engines would come under ownership of tidmouth, knapford, wellsworth and brendam railway and there end of the line would be Extended to the port town of brendam. With the amalgamation of the two railway lead to more work for the 4 engines. Colin would become station pilot for tidmouth whilst Adam would continue running passenger services.

Eventually, Colin alongside lily (the w&s number 2) would both be alicated to Arlesburgh in 1918 to run the newly built branch line for there to tidmouth. Colin Surprisingly was the goods engine for the line whilst lily took charge of the passenger work. This arrangement would stay in affects until 1932 when, after the mid-sodor railway closed, the branch closed.

Adam on the over hand ended up on the peel godred branch line with w&s number 4, Emily. The two took charge of the line after its completion in 1930.

With the closing of the arlesburgh branch line Colin was relocated to brendam to act as the docks pilot and stayed there with lily, until she left for Kirk Ronan. This would last until after the second world war.

Unfortunately though in 1952 in an effort to modernization the north western region of British railways, BR choose to remove older Victoria engines from service. Adam and Colin were included on this list and so were pulled from service. Later that year it is believed both were scrapped.

Luckily something of these two is still around today. Like 98462, the number plates of both engines have been found and restored and are now on display at the vicarstown railway museum in their w&s display.