file 4- NWR numbers 4 'Gordon'

Name: Gordon
Number: 4
Engine type: form gnr A0, then lner a0 finally lner a3/0
Wheel arrangement: 4-6-2
Fuel type: coal
Shed designation: formally vicarstown, currently tidmouth
Primary job: express engine for the mainline but also handles passenger work

First starting work in 1921 the great northern railway, under the instructions of its head locomotive superintendent sir Nigle Gresley, would begin construction of the UK's first major Pacific steam locomotive. the A0, as it was called at the time, was the experimental prototype. It was the precursor to what would later become Gresley's great line of a class pacific. Once completed the A0 would run services and test trials on the gnr, proving its self a capable engine. In 1923 the LNER was formed incorporating the gnr and other railway into its self. The new railway wanted a fleet of the new powerful Pacifics but at this point also wanted rid of the out date prototype. Sir Nigle Gresley, now Chief Mechanical Engineer of the lner, didn't want scrap his prized prototype and so secretly sold the engine to the NWR in 1923. The a0 would only meet one of its brothers before leaving that being number 1470 great northern.

The A0 would arrive on sodor in the summer of 1923 and after proving himself capable Gordon was given the number 4 spot. He was painted NWR blue and took charge of the still new wild nor Wester express service from engine 98462.

In 1939 Gordon was actually sent back to Doncaster for overhaul. Gordon came back a very similar engine just with a couple a3 add ons.

In 1946 the lner's new Chief Mechanical Engineer,Edward Thompson offered to rebuild the NWR'S 'outdated smoke machine' this offer was quickly shot down by the acting fat controller of the time and gordon himself.

Gordon did get one last overhaul at Doncaster thanks in large part to the final Chief Mechanical Engineer of the LNER Arthur Peppercorn in 1947. Gordon himself said he had a lot of respect for peppercorn, maybe even as much as he did for sir Nigle Gresley and sir topham hat.

Input from the real engine.
Gordon didn't really have any major changes to make to. He only wished to add that from the year 2014 he on long pulled the wild nor Wester.