23.Suspicious

I attempted to move, but an acute pain shot through me, reminiscent of being trampled by a bull. Then, a brilliant light pierced my field of vision, stirring me. I reluctantly opened my eyes, which had nearly been blinded by the intense glare.

"Who dares to open the curtains? Close them now! And, scarred," a deep, hoarse, and familiar voice resounded with authority.

Rubbing my eyes, I gradually adjusted to the dim room. I found myself lying on a king-size bed within a spacious room. The sound of footsteps drew near the bed.

"Good morning, beautiful. I hope you had a restful sleep," the person said while tucking the duvet around my feet.

Confused and wary, I clutched the comforter to my chest and responded, "I don't know who you are. Where am I?"

"Ah, beautiful, that hurts. You don't remember me?" He approached slowly, his face coming into view. The person turned out to be none other than Xeres.

A sigh of recognition escaped me, and a broad smile illuminated my face. Xeres also smiled upon seeing me and pulled me into an embrace.

It had been a while since we'd seen each other, the last time being at the hospital. However, the question remained: how had I ended up here?

Where was Anord? We were supposed to be going on a date; how had I ended up in this situation?

I gently pulled away from Xeres and met his gaze. He had a look as if something positive had occurred, yet an undercurrent of unknown anxiety lingered in his eyes.

"How did I end up here?" I inquired, scrutinizing him for answers.

"Why? Aren't you happy to be with me? You seem rather skeptical," Xeres responded, standing up from the chair.

"Skeptical?" I repeated, uncovering myself from the comforter.

A knock at the door interrupted our conversation.

"Come in," Xeres called out, sounding somewhat irritated. The door swung open, revealing a young woman dressed as a maid, holding a tray of food. She set the tray on a table in the corner of the room, offered a small smile and a slight bow, and then exited.

"Beautiful, our meal has arrived. Let's eat first, and we can talk afterwards. I'll be back shortly," Xeres suggested, moving toward the door. As he turned to leave, he added, "If you need anything, don't hesitate to call for the maid. They are at your service. Enjoy your meal."

With that, he left the room. I rose from the bed, made my way to the bathroom, and proceeded to wash my face and brush my teeth using a new toothbrush I found in the cabinet. I gave my face a quick wipe, noticing that I looked a bit disheveled, but I decided against taking a shower.

As I glanced at myself in the mirror, I realized I was still wearing the same outfit from yesterday: a peach blouse and ripped jeans. It wasn't the typical attire for a date, but I had prioritized comfort. Besides, the blouse suited me well, and I had hoped to impress Anord.

Anord... Where in the world are you?

Feeling disheartened about missing our date, I heard my stomach growling, reminding me that I should return to the room.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but something about the room made me feel uneasy. Despite its luxurious and stunning appearance, there was an underlying feeling of discomfort, as if I shouldn't be there. It wasn't that the place was dirty; in fact, it was quite opulent. However, a sense of foreboding lingered.

Nevertheless, I devoured the meal and set the plate aside. After drinking water and taking a moment to rest, I decided to step outside. Opening the grand wooden door, I found myself facing a long corridor. The setting felt like a palace, but not one where I was a princess; it was more like I was held captive.

Not spotting anyone nearby, I allowed my feet to lead me wherever. Eventually, I found myself at the top of a staircase and descended. As I made my way down, I came across a man carrying boxes, walking toward me.

"Excuse me, could you direct me to Xeres?" I asked politely.

"Certainly. His Majesty is in the hall. I shall accompany you there," he replied, setting the boxes down.

He led me to the hall and bowed before leaving. It struck me as odd that they carried themselves with such respect, beyond the usual demeanor of ordinary maids.

Pushing aside those thoughts, I continued onward and arrived at the heart of the hall, where I saw Xeres engaged in conversation with two men. Based on his gestures, it seemed like he was issuing commands to them. Sensing my presence, he bid them farewell with a word and turned his intense gaze toward me.

"Have you kidnapped me, Xeres?" I questioned, my tone filled with irritation.

"Kidnapped? What gives you that idea?" he responded, sounding taken aback.

"I was at Anord's place yesterday, and now I find myself here. Isn't that strange?" I probed, locking eyes with him in search of the truth.

"It's not kidnapping. I only want to ensure your safety, and your father is deeply concerned for you," he explained, his annoyance evident.

"I'm perfectly safe. Can you see any harm done to me? Besides, my father has given up on me," I retorted.

"Ukrine, you don't comprehend the world you're stepping into. This isn't where you belong. He isn't the right person for you. He'll make you suffer. Think of the people who care about you—Swezla, Linda, your father. They're all afraid for you. You—" Xeres spoke with a tone of worry.

"Enough, Xeres. You've said your piece. I know what's best for me, okay? You don't get to dictate my choices," I snapped, raising my voice.

Somehow, I had lost control. I couldn't bear to hear the same warnings repeatedly. It was time I put a stop to it.

"I want to go back. Call Anord and ask him to come get me. I can't stand being here any longer," I seethed, my anger intensifying and causing me to breathe heavily.

"Alright, calm down Ukrine. I'll allow you to leave, but remember, I'll come for you. Wait until then," Xeres urged, motioning for me to follow him. As I looked around, my gaze landed on something intriguing: a captivating portrait of a beautiful woman who bore a striking resemblance to me. It seemed like an ancient artwork.

No, I must have lost my mind, or perhaps anger had driven me to the brink of insanity. Pushing those thoughts aside, I followed Xeres without bothering to take in my surroundings. A black Mercedes awaited us at the front door.

Xeres signaled for me to get in first, and he joined me soon after. From the corner of my eye, I could see the annoyance on Xeres's face, but I paid it no attention.

After a while, the car came to a stop, and Xeres got out first. I followed suit from my side and saw him glaring at something ahead.

Turning my head in the same direction, I spotted Anord and Tate standing beside a Range Rover. As they noticed me, Tate offered a smile, but Anord's expression remained as impassive as ever.

Was he not pleased to see me?

"Beautiful, we'll cross paths again soon. Just wait for me," Xeres spoke, but my focus was firmly on Anord.

Tate came forward to guide me, and I walked alongside him without uttering a word to Xeres. Anord didn't say anything either; he simply helped me into the car.

As I sat in the vehicle, a thought crossed my mind about the woman in the portrait who bore an uncanny resemblance to me. The words "We'll cross paths again soon" echoed in my mind, spoken by Xeres.

What is all this chaos about? Is he truly the Xeres I once knew?